cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

BTSmartHub2 firewall

Go to solution

Hi,

I have a BTSmartHub2 and my understanding of an external service's requirement is that I have to add two firewall rules to allow incoming traffic through two ports from two external IP addresses. I don't have firewall experience but have read the info on port forwarding for the Hub2 and looked at the Firewall settings in the control panel which only appear to be able to direct traffic from an open port to a device on my home network without being able to specify the IP address of the incoming traffic. 

Am I correct in thinking that the Hub2 cannot specify the IP addresse of the incoming traffic in the firewall rules and if that is the case do I need to buy another firewall with this functionality?

Thanks in advance for any constuctive advice.

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: BTSmartHub2 firewall

Go to solution

Not entirely sure why the originating IP addresses need to be specified rather than just forwarding the relevant ports to your device for all addresses.

You are correct in your assumption that specifying the addresses to be allowed is not possible with the BT hub.

You also need to remember that your own public IP address is dynamic and will change from time to time.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution
Thank you Liquorice. Perhaps I have misunderstood what I have been asked to do. The instructions that came with the server on my home network that I want to be accessed from outside my network are as follows,

To locate your server, you only need two things :

• Please open port 9011 and 9012 on IP 176.XXX.XXX.0/25 TCP/UDP and open port 9012 on IP 95.XXX.XXX.0/28 TCP/UDP .
• Once the server started , you can connect with admin login , to change IP , netmask and gateway as you have in your new location.

Please could you confirm if I can do what they are asking with the BTSH2?
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

That doesn't make sense at all

What is the server and it's intended use?

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution
Thanks, I've checked and found out that these are Public IP addresses that I need to setup on my router and then open those ports. Can the Smarthub do that?
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution

No, but I don't understand why you need to.

What is the server for?

If you run a server on your home network, you open ports by port forwarding the ports to the PRIVATE LAN address of the server. Any incoming connections can then connect to the server.

I have no idea what or why you are being asked to do regarding the public IP addresses

If you wish to restrict access to your server to just those addresses for some reason, you will need a different router or disable the hub firewall and install a separate firewall on another device.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 7

Go to solution
Hi Liquorice,
The confusion is that the IP addresses are static IPs that I have to setup for the incoming traffic. It is not possible with BT home retail so I am switching to business. Thank you for your help.