cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 4

Best single extender for a Smart Hub?

We have a BT Smart Hub (the original one not the 2nd gen and it says ‘type A’ on the back if this is relevant) at the front of our shared house and we want to add a single something at the back of the house to extend Wi-Fi out several meters into the back garden.

I’m confused what the best option might be? Some options that are sold on the BT store seem to have terrible reviews and I’d rather not get a dud. Someone said a powerline adaptor tends to be more reliable than ones extending through WiFi?

Would maybe say the NETGEAR 2PT GIGE Powerline 1000 PassThru Bundle be a good option for a powerline adaptor? It has good reviews but I’m choosing it semi-randomly and am open to better suggestions. If so would just this plus our existing Smart Hub be all we need or is there anything else we’d need as well? Thanks

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Re: Best single extender for a Smart Hub?

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 4

Thanks. Though I’ve just found out my housemate already uses a TP-Link AV600 to plug an Ethernet cable into and get a better connection for the PC in room then he got over wireless.

Could the AV1000 you recommended work alongside the existing AV600 Ethernet to use both at the same time? Or could/should we replace the AV600 in his room with the AV1000 instead? It looks like it has an Ethernet port as well as broadcasting WiFi? Having the new WiFi plug thingy in his room would be a good location for the signal getting out to the garden anyway.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 4

Are you sure the AV600 in his room isn't a TL WPA 4220 which supplies wifi as well as Ethernet?

Not sure if the AV1000 would be backwards compatible with the AV600 'master' connected to the hub. It would be limited to slower speed even if it is compatible. It will also only be single band wifi, which will probably suffice for the garden as the 5Ghz band probably wont have the range.

You could either replace the existing kit completely with the WPA 7617 pair or just replace the existing AV600 extender with the wifi version if it is Ethernet only. You would just need a single WPA 4220 device to pair with the existing 'master'. (TL-PA 4010)

Edit: A single 7617 would appear to be backwards compatible from the device info.

*1. Compatible with all HomePlug AV and AV2 Standard Powerline adapters.

0 Ratings