cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 4

Broadband speed variation on wifi

I've had BT 500Mbps installed on 6/01 and my WiFi speeds sat next to the router can vary between 30 and 500 Mbps on the same device. 

Sometimes switching the WiFi on the phone on and off can vary the speed as well.

Is there a setting I need to change to get consistent speeds or is this par for the course.

My old broadband gave consistent speeds so at the lower end the BT speed is worse. 

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Re: Broadband speed variation on wifi

are you connecting to 2.4 or 5ghz wifi?

have you read this post

https://community.bt.com/t5/Home-setup-Wi-Fi-network/Query-on-wifi-speeds/m-p/2271814#M200101

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 4

Hi,

I had a look at that post. The difference is that I am getting the variation between speeds on the same pixel 6. 500Mbps one minute and 30 later. Its connected to the 5 GHz network.

I have a power line extender with a wired and wireless connection in another room but it's the same problem there.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 4

Are you certain that you're always connecting to 5GHz, given that both bands share the same SSID?

Download a WiFi analyser & check for competing networks. You can then manually select the WiFi channels in the SH2 for the least congestion. Even if the 5GHz is clear it's worth moving away from the default channel 36.

0 Ratings