cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

Broadband speed

Go to solution

Been reading some info on here about fibre speed.

got a few questions .

1 I’ve got 900mb fibre so if I connect to the smart hub 2 with a cat 6 cable and network card is a 1000 mb I won’t get  the advertised speed to that device ? 

2 when I had the 150mb speed I got it to my device wether if I was connected to the modem with cable or without cable ?

3 so if the speed to any of my devices don’t  hit above 700mb then the guaranteed speed isn’t being met?

4 if the over all speed is spread between devices so say 1 device may only get 200mb second device gets 250mb how can we be sure where getting the guaranteed  speed we paying for?

5 is this a way bt saves money for the bandwidth but expect customers to pay full for which is infact a 250mb connection if the device is capable of receiving the full speed of 900 then you should get close to that figure when connect to Ethernet. . 

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: Broadband speed

Go to solution

The BT guaranteed speed  is to your router not your devices and the speed is connection speed not download speed

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution

Silly question then how do we as a consumer know that we are getting the correct speed . If we do a speed test we are not going to see the correct speed to the  modem we see the speed from modem to device  ? 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

Try running btspeedtester with ethernet connection and your speed should e as expected 

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution

Hi @Vinnie650 

1. If you connect to the SH2 with a Cat6 cable *and nothing else is connected (wired or wireless)* you should get the advertised speed (900 Mb/s) - I certainly do.

2. That suggests your WiFi is capable of 150 Mb/s - it's unlikely to be capable of 900 Mb/s.  You *might* be able to get 3 or more devices simultaneously doing 150 Mb/s, or maybe one device doing 250 Mb/s - WiFi is too difficult to predict, and very little to do with your internet connection spped.  With my 900 Mb/s FTTP connection and SH2 I get between 200 Mb/s and 350 Mb/s on various devices.

3. The only guaranteed speed is between the BT network and the SH2 - because those are the only things in BT's control.  Even then, the BT "speed guarantee" just means they'll give you £20 if they can't get a speed test to show you the promised speed once in a 30-day period (https://www.bt.com/help/broadband/what-is-bt-s-stay-fast-guarantee-)

4. You can be certain that you're getting a fibre connection at 1Gb/s (on the FTTP 900 package) - if you don't then there's a fault.  You can be reasonably certain that if the network is not too busy you will be able to sustain the 900 Mb/s download for at least short peiods of time.  And you can check this with something like speedtest.net or fast.com.

5. This is a way for pretty much all telecom providers to deliver fibre to homes.  Running individual fibre connections between an exchange and every home would be ridiculously expensive and unnecessary - so FTTP gives you a branch on a shared fibre.  On GPON (as currently deployed by Openreach and used by BT et al) this gives ~2.5Gb/s downstream shared between ~30 subscribers.  If everyone else is idle, you can use your 900 Mb/s fully; if everyone is busy, you get on average ~ 80Mb/s each.

Message 6 of 7

Go to solution

You'll never get the full 900mb wirelessly on a Smart Hub 2 as it uses WiFi 5

WiFi 6 E might just do it but for that you'd need to have a WiFi 6E router and devices

I think the Smart Hub plus that you get on certain plans if you switch to EE is WiFi 6 E

I can confirm what @ptrduffy says about Ethernet. I have my hub connected to my PC with ethernet and can download from Steam at 900mbps which is great with how big games are these days.

Streaming a 1080p show from Netflix on my Smart TV doesn't bring the speed down either whilst downloading games

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 7

Go to solution

I’ve done that highest I’ve ever got is 550mb. I’ve also been told my router and modem have to be plugged into wall socket and the laptop I’ve used isn’t a bt one so that’s why and that was from bt support .. 

0 Ratings