cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

Can I Do This with a BT Disc

Have ethernet cable from house to garden office.  Office cannot get wifi signal from house (either too far or is shielded too much) and laptop in office only has wifi connectivity (mac).  Router in house too far from ethernet socket (that goes to office) with wire/cable so looking at wifi connection. (I tried Home Plugs between office and house - this did not work.  I forgot to look at router to house ethernet socket 😨 - that might work).   I note that the BT Disc has an ethernet socket on the back - can I connect a BT Disc to either end of the ethernet cable so I effectively have a wireless connection from the office to the house router?

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: Can I Do This with a BT Disc

@quarkrad 

Use home plugs between BT Home Hub and the house end of the Ethernet cable.

Put a wireless access point in the office.

https://www.tp-link.com/uk/home-networking/access-point/tl-wa801n/

About £20.

If you want both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz Wi-Fi bands, there is the https://www.tp-link.com/uk/home-networking/access-point/tl-wa1201/

Using BT discs expensive, and would introduce an unwanted wireless path.

Message 3 of 6

The ethernet plugs did not work unfortunately so I tried, in the house, using a BT Disc.  On the back of the Dsic I connected the ethernet port into the ethernet socket in the lounge (the other end is in the garden office) and the Disc connects to the home router via wifi.  This appears to work in that if I connect a laptop with an ethernet port into the 802 socket in the garden office I get internet connectivity.  The broadband speed is largely the same as that in the house.  My only problem is that my personal laptop does not have an 802 port, only wifi.  Having another BT Disc I connected that to the 802 port in the garden office and I have got it to work - but over time it seems to lose it's connection and just glows disconnected Red.  These devices are not designed to work this way so I'm not too surprised.  As I have a steady 802 connection in the office I 'see' no reason the TP Link Access device should not work if I plugged one in.  The only thing I'm not sure of is the SSID and password that my laptop would pick up in the garden office.  Because the TP_Link box is configured as an access point would it present the same SSID and need the same password as the home router?

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 6

When you speak about 802 ports I assume you mean RJ45 Ethernet, 802 is WiFi.

The TP Link SSID will be independent of the disc/hub hence you can set it as either the same or different. Personally, I would set it different then you will know which source you are connecting to and can decide which to use.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

Yes - I'm sorry, I meant ethernet RJ45 port.  Is there not a conflict re the password if the Access Point has a different password than the main router at the other end?

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 6

No

0 Ratings