cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

Can i use my own router connected directly to the master socket?

Go to solution

Can i use my own router connected directly to the master socket and my own router then connected to my PC? I don't need the smart hub 2 chained to my own router (modem mode) for it to work? Because virgin asked me to put their router in modem mode in order to use my own router. I wondered if BT was the same. Thank you.

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: Can i use my own router connected directly to the master socket?

Go to solution

are you a new customer switching from Virgin?   if so which BT package have you ordered - FTTC which requires use of master socket or FTTP which does not use master socket but installation of an ONT

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution

Ii'm a new BT customer on FTTC, mastersocket 5c. I switched from virgin. Thank you.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

You cannot connect a pure router to the master socket, but you can connect any third party VDSL modem/ router directly. The BT hub cannot be used as a modem only.

Message 5 of 7

Go to solution

Sorry, i'm echoing casual speak on the technical terms, when i say router. So like virgin and bt ship out router/modems. I need to buy a router that has a modem in it and i can connect it direct to socket without smart hub 2 involved?

Thank you.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution

Correct. Any VDSL modem/router with PPPoE capability will be fine.

Message 7 of 7

Go to solution

Awesome! I shall buy with that in mind. Thanks for your help!

0 Ratings