cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 40

Can't access SmartHub 2 from different local subnet

Hello,

Not sure if what I am asking will be out of scope of this forum, and I am pretty new to networking as well, but I will give it a go.

I'm currently setting up a Unifi home network, and am currently using by Smart Hub 2 in AP mode (or as close as can be after following guides on this forum).

Currently the SmartHub 2 resides in a different subnet that the majority of my other devices. The annoying thing is I can't see to access the router (admin panel, ping, traceroute) from any subnet other than the default 192.168.x.x range.

I know on Windows pings from outside the local subnet are blocked by default, and I'm wondering if I am wasting my time and there is nothing that can be done here.

Just to confirm, I can ping/contact other devices on the same subnet as the router/AP, just not the device itself.

Any guidance would be much appreciated!

0 Ratings
39 REPLIES 39
Message 2 of 40

Re: Can't access SmartHub 2 from different local subnet

More info on the network topology is going to help!

I only learn by making mistakes and owning up to them - boy do I learn a lot!
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 40

BT Hubs block external ping, no idea on internal as I don't use one.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 40

You could try setting the subnet mask to 255.255.254.0 but it may not work as that will put the WAN and LAN in the same subnet.

That's assuming that the 2 subnets have the same first 2 octets.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 40

You won’t be able to access it in a different subnet unless you are accessing it via another router. 

What are you trying to use the SH2 for?  As Crimliar said, without more information on what is connected to what it’s impossible for people give you any real answer.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 40

@jamespavett 

I was using an SH2 for DV only and my Asus for everything else.

My SH2 was 192.168.2.1 and my Asus was 192.168.1.1 and I could access the SH2 from my home network with no difficulty at all.

I set my Asus to have a subnet mask of 255.255.252.0 , although 255.255.254 would work as well as @licquorice quotes.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 40

@TimCurtis    And I do (more or less) the same, but the real issue is that it was routing via the Asus to the other network.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 40

@TimCurtis @Crimliar @WSH so to give you all a bit more background on my setup.

WAN -> Unifi Gateway -> Unifi Switch -> Smart Hub 2 (Running as AP)

I have two subnets / VLANs, well actually more but 2 relevant here.

Default 192.168.1.0/24 VLAN1 Subnet 255.255.255.0

Personal 10.44.2.0/24 VLAN2 Subnet 255.255.255.0

Just for testing, I moved by Hue Bridge (192.168.1.201) onto the Default / VLAN 1 network. From my PC on the Personal network (10.44.1.2) I can tracert the Hue Bridge no problem at all.

jamespavett_0-1710934633950.png

However I have my BT SmartHub 2 set to a static IP of 192.168.1.6 with DHCP and the firewall off as its only an AP, but I cannot hit this off any subnet other than the one the router itself is in, or access the web interface. Meaning I can reach the SmartHub 2 off any device in the Default subnet, but not any outside that. I did try putting my PC in the 192.168.x.x range and I could hit the SmartHub 2 no problem at all.

jamespavett_1-1710934826930.png

Seeing as I can still ping the Hue bridge, it does feel like something to do with the SmartHub 2 is blocking requests outside the local subnet, unless there is something else I am possible missing.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 40

When you say "running as an AP" what exactly are you trying to do with it?

Message 10 of 40

Are you connecting the hub LAN to LAN or LAN to WAN?

0 Ratings