cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 40

Re: Can't access SmartHub 2 from different local subnet

I only want the SmartHub running as an access point to the network servicing WiFi connections.

Followed the guidance here:

https://community.bt.com/t5/Home-setup-Wi-Fi-network/Setting-up-a-Smart-Hub-2-as-an-Access-Point/td-...

But id quite like to be able to access the admin interface off of devices in different subnets on my network.

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 40

@licquorice I am connected via a LAN on the SmartHub 2 to a LAN on the switch.

0 Ratings
Message 13 of 40

Then the IP address on the SH2 needs to be part of the same subnet.

0 Ratings
Message 14 of 40

The IP address of the SH2 though is 192.168.1.6 which falls under the subnet of the Unifi router I am using, 192.168.1.0/24. So I would have thought traffic would be routes to it appropriately.

So 10.4.2.2 would go to 196.168.1.1 which then goes to 192.168.1.6. This works for a device at 192.168.1.201

0 Ratings
Message 15 of 40

@WSH Exactly

0 Ratings
Message 16 of 40

Only if that traffic passes through the router.  (Or possibly a layer 3 switch).  That's what routers do, they connect different networks togther.  Two devices in different subnets cannot talk directly to each other.  That's the whole point of subnetting.

Edit: Anyway, I'll have to leave you to it.  I need to go and do the shopping or I don't get to eat this weekend.  (And I like eating even more than I like IT).

Message 17 of 40

@jamespavett 

Ok, I've got a better picture in my head now. Yes, the hub is simply another device on your 192.168.1.xxx subnet and should be accessible as other devices on that subnet are.

Not entirely sure how you are managing to route from your 10 subnet to the 192 subnet in the first place though

0 Ratings
Message 18 of 40

@licquorice This is probably because my Unifi Gateway allows all traffic between subnets unless explicitly blocked. Hence when I can tracert from 10.4.2.2 to 192.168.1.201 without a problem for the Hue Bridge. But the exact same thing doesn’t work for the SH2

Each subnet has its own gateway, so 10.4.2.1 for VLAN2, 192.168.1.0 for VLAN1, and then I can route between them no problem.

To be it does feel like the SH2 is blocking anything not coming off the same local subnet, but potentially the request isn’t even getting to the device.

0 Ratings
Message 19 of 40

Ah right, so the gateway is acting as the router then.  I see your problem.  Misconfiguration in the gateway?  I bet this is going to be something silly.

0 Ratings
Message 20 of 40

Yea the gateway is acting as a router for all of the vlans / subnets, and the old SH2 router is now purely acting as an AP.

So there’s nothing logical in your eyes @WSH that would prevent the SH2 being accessed from a separate subnet that it is on? I wasn’t sure if it might only accept requests within the 192.168 range.

Wondering if it could be down to where my ports are tagged somewhere, but I couldn’t see anything obvious earlier. 

0 Ratings