cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 43

Can't connect my Nest Wifi Point

Hello,

I recently upgraded to BT fibre and I can no longer set up my Nest Wifi Point.  The Google Home apps says it "Could not communicate with your Nest Wifi point. The Nest Wifi Router connects along with my other devices but I cannot connect the point. 

I have tried various set up :

Openreach Modem (Google say this is an ONT box not a modem, whatever that means)  > BT Home Hub > Nest Wifi Router 

Openreach Modem (Google say this is an ONT box not a modem, whatever that means)  >  Nest Wifi Router 

The internet and wifi both in both cases but I I can't connect my point.

Google have suggested below and I phoned up BT technical support and they couldn't help me. 

The below is what Google said last.

As we've discussed, VLAN Tagging is not supported by the Google Nest Wifi devices that you have. Because having a VLAN tagging it created by multiple networks in one network which is multiple devices are connected. We have 3 ways to fixed this:
  1. To get a stand-alone modem 
  2. To purchase a manage network Switch  (Modem from ISP > switch > Google Nest Wifi device)
  3. Reach out to ISP to transfer different network box outside 

For more information kindly check this link below:

Thanks,

Tom 

0 Ratings
42 REPLIES 42
Message 2 of 43

Re: Can't connect my Nest Wifi Point

VLan tagging is not required on full fibre with an ONT (optical modem)

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 43

Ok how do i turn off vlan tagging ??

More information from Google 

Apologies for the late reply I was still assitsing a customer a while ago. The modem that you have provide an IP address which is 
that indicates a VLAN tagging. A VLAN is a method of creating independent logical networks within a physical network.

If you have a manage switch you will put it between the ONT Box and to the Google Nest Wifi router so that it eliminate the VLAN tagging isssue.

Some ISP has there on way on how to eliminate the VLAN tagging on their system.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 43

I am not too familiar with Nest wifi.

You should find that the Nest Wifi router works okay with the ONT. Ethernet together and provide login of bthomehub@bt broadband.com and password bt.

Does that work - ie can you connect via wifi with various devices and access the internet?

You then have a Nest wifi point and this is not connecting. Can this be reset in any way?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings icon. If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted solution’
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 43

@tommcdowall  you don't turn it off, the ONT performs the required tagging. I meant there is no need for you to provide tagging.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 43

Yes I can contact to various devices (phones, smart speakers etc)

Yeah I have factory reset it a few times, still the same issue. 

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 43

Google says the device doesn't support VLan tagging. So i need to a work around. They suggested the things above like a modem

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 43

Google talk nonsense, VLAN tagging is taken care of by the Openreach modem (ONT)

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 43

Ok but they saying Vlan tagging is the issue. Is there anyway where I can not have Vlan tagging. A different modem? Speaking with open reach. 

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 43

Forget VLAN tagging, it is nothing to do with your problem.

0 Ratings