cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

Changing home configurations

Go to solution

I have two contracts coming to an end in January, one for Broadband plus landline, the other for just landline.

I wish to renew my contract but no longer need two phone lines. What I would like to do is retain Broadband plus a landline but switch the number currently in use for that service to the present landline only number; ie reallocate the current Broadband service and phone number to the other line.

Because of the internal wiring, the sales people do not understand what will be required technically and even have told me incorrect information (eg full fibre broadband to the home will not need a new connection interface).

Previous experience of BT engineers means I would like to discuss the issue with someone from either BT or Openreach to determine what needs to be done. However, 2 conversations with support staff contacted by the messaging facility have got nowhere and I have been advised to contact the Values team. I though the latter was for retention issues? Is there any way of getting technical support other than perhaps claiming a fault and then discussing with whoever comes to fix. I don't mind paying for technical support if only I can find out where to get it!

Thanks for any help.

Chris H.

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: Changing home configurations

Go to solution

can you not just keep existing broadband and line connection and get the line renumbered to that of phone only number - terminating phone only line

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution

Thank you. Actually I suggested that a year ago to a BT sales support person after a friend told me that it was probably quite a simple job to transfer/reassign the physical connection to another number.  The response I got was that I would have to request broadband service on the existing landline only number and then cancel service on the original broadband line. This would not achieve what I want as I also wish to retain the existing wiring setup for the present equipment which not only includes wifi but a direct Ethernet connection for a computer, as well as the  convenience of an adjacent desk. Switching to the wiring for the present standalone line is not really practical.

The other issue is that whenever we have had problems, BT / Openreach engineers have often been unable to solve them quickly and on the last occasion required a second visit from another engineer who rewired from the street cabinet. 

I don't need full fibre and don't want it because I don't think the installation would go smoothly based on previous experience. I shall probably continue on an out of contract service for both numbers for the time being although the worst case scenario is to cancel service on the existing standalone landline and tell all our friends/business contacts that we have a new number using the present Broadband line!

All I want to do is to find a contact at BT to whom I can explain what I wish to do, hopefully gain confirmation that it is technically feasible and how it will be achieved, and pay for it to be arranged.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

I have asked one of the mods to see if they can help you.  they will post here

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution

Hi @chrisharvey2a

Thanks for your posts and welcome back!

Sorry for the problems you're having getting your request actioned.  I understand you want to cancel the landline only and renumber the line/broadband with the number that's currently working on the landline you want cancelled.

I have sent you a private message with instructions on how you can send us over your details and we'll look into this for you. See: Private messages

Thanks,

Robbie

Message 6 of 7

Go to solution

Hi @chrisharvey2a, thanks for taking the time to speak with me earlier. As discussed, the numbers are allocated to different exchange codes so it's not possible to switch off one line and allocate that number to the other line. 

You've decided to leave the set up as is for the moment and consider your option once you move to full fibre.

Cheers

John

Message 7 of 7

Go to solution

Many thanks to John for his help in determining the technical options and explaining why what I desired was not actually feasible with my present connections with landlines.

However, he did suggest that a possible solution would be to transfer to a full fibre connection which being digital would be more straightforward to achieve.

I am happy to dwell on that option for the time being, but will think through all the  implications for my home setup.

This is the first person other than sales personnel who has fully understood the issues, and not only that followed up internally to check the technicalities, which I understand; its just unfortunate that my requirement cannot be met easily at present.

Thank you for being so helpful.