cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 11

Changing the SSID

Go to solution

Would someone plse explain the importance of changing the SSID from hub's default as some people do and others do not.

Surely, BT do not duplicate the SSID's of hubs, and so providing uve changed the default wireless password to a good one of your own, there shudnt be a problem with security? 

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11

Re: Changing the SSID

Go to solution

the man reason people change the hub SSID, myself included, is to use a previous router SSID and password and in that way all the wifi devices connect automatically instead of having to go round each device and changing wifi connection

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 3 of 11

Go to solution

There is absolutely no reason to change the SSID for security reasons. As @imjolly says, its easier to change the SSID on the hub than change network on multiple devices.

Message 4 of 11

Go to solution

Okeydokey! Thanx for that, it does make sense. So, I gather that it's not for security reasons, it's just for convenience? 

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 11

Go to solution

as @licquorice  posted I doubt many change SSID for security reasons

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 6 of 11

Go to solution
Thanks Liquorice for that reassurance. I can see your post must've crossed with my reply.
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 11

Go to solution

@imjolly wrote:

as @licquorice  posted I doubt many change SSID for security reasons

Just the tinfoil hat brigade 😀

Message 8 of 11

Go to solution

The wireless password string that comes with the BT Hub has 3.76 quadrilion possible combinations which guessing at a thousand a second would take 3.7 weeks to crack so I would say it's fairly secure and there is no great need to change it.

Message 9 of 11

Go to solution

Wow! 😳 Obv quite secure the. However, I always change the wireless password from default. I think leaving the default SSID as well as default Wireless password (which is visible on back of hubs) might be a bit risky though 👀👍

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 11

Go to solution

Change it if you want or you could just remove or place tape over the label to stop prying eyes bearing in mind the person wanting to use the label would need to have access to your hub in order to see it.

Make sure your new password is at least 10 digits long a mix of numbers and words lower and uppercase  and not a name or word which can easily be cracked by brute force hacking programs.

Also bear in mind few people have their wifi hacked by hackers. Hackers would need to be in range of your wifi to do that. 

0 Ratings