cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9

Cost vs speed

Hi

I am told by BT I am on the most performative Fibre they have to offer. It certainly should be for the price.

However I have been monitoring speeds for a number of weeks and I am getting 52 mbps download and about 46 upload. This doesn't change much - it doesn't matter what else is using the service or what time of day it is.

<y account suggests:

Normal available speeds

Your normal available download speed will be 500 Mbps

Your normal available upload speed will be 73 Mbps

Minimum guaranteed download speed

Your minimum guaranteed download speed will be 425 Mbps

So I am wondering if I even have this service. It feels like I am paying over the odds for something that should cost around £25 per month, bot nearly £80

Wondering if anyone else is impacted?

Thanks

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Re: Cost vs speed

If the minimum guaranteed speed is 425Mb/s and you are only getting 52Mb/s then there is a problem.

How are you measuring the speed?  What does your hub say the speed is? Is there any other networking components involved such as switches, or Access Points?

There could be a number of causes, so eliminate the simplest ones first, hence the above questions

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 9

Thanks for the reply. I don't have anything fancy going on. There's an extender but it was like it before that. I have used all the usual speed check sites. I don't know how to check the hub itself though. 

Thanks again

Mand

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 9

What are you using to check the speed? A recent PC using Ethernet or an old iPad using WiFi, or something else?

What extender are you using?

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 9

The hub on FTTP will always show a 1Gb connection so is irrelevant. What needs to be asked is:-

How are you connecting?

Is your device capable of the speed?

I await the reply. Also be aware most claims of speed are based on labority conditions not "real world" which could be half or less.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 9

Hi devices are such things as smart TV,  less that 2 year old laptop eg HP Elitebook, Samsung A10 tablet etc. Most of the tech is decent spec and not old.

Thank you

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 9

@Mand1 

You are only likely to get the full speed if you have a fast PC which is directly connected to the home hub, using an Ethernet cable.

Extenders and wireless connected devices are not going to get anything like the full speed. For most people a broadband connection of 70Mbs is more than adequate, unless they are downloading very large game files.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 9

@Mand1 you will need to be a little more specific if you expect to get any detailed help.

What device are you using to perform a speed test - include model number, how are you connecting to the BT Hub, if not an ethernet cable, give detail such as extender model, PLA model if in use, and if using WiFi what connection speed is reported by the WiFi?

When performing the speed test make sure nothing else is active on the internet link as much as possible, so no files downloading, no streaming etc. - there is nearly always some background "noise" from some devices but that is usually very small and should have negligible  impact so it is not worth while disconnecting all your other devices.

What exactly is the Broadband service you have, is it FTTP 900, or Fibre 1, or Fibre 2 - it may well be the fastest one available to you but that doesn't tell us  what to really expect.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 9

On WIFI, you will need a good router that does 5ghz. I have a Netgear ORBI mesh setup and even I cannot get over 300 consistently. 

Tags (1)
0 Ratings