cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 12

Digital upgrade

Just received new router for digital phone upgrade and realised it has a new Wi-Fi password which has to be installed on every device that uses Wi-Fi. I’ve got about15 and some are difficult to change such as extenders. Then the cheek to say unless I return the old router by parcelling it up and taking it to the post office I will be charged for it. The instructions given to set the new router up makes no mention of all this work and inconvenience to the customer. Does anyone else think BT should compensate customers as this change is primarily for their benefit. 

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12

Re: Digital upgrade

Just change the SSID and Password to match your old router - then you don't have to change it on any devices at all.

So no, I wouldn't expect compensation.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 12

This is not for BT retail benefit it is openreach who are making the change and ending PSTN

Just follow the suggestion made by @wkirkman   I always use this method when I change router 

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 12

Hi, @JackD as mentioned you can change the SSID and Wifi Password to match your old hub, this can be done in the MyBT app if that makes the switch over easier for you.

Thanks

Neil

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 12

Just go in to the Home Hub Manager by typing 192.168.1.254 into your browser. Here you can change the Admin password to something easier and more memorable rather than a series of letters and numbers.

After that go into the section and change the SSID to the one all your stuff recognises from previous Hub/s and also the password to the original one and then press SAVE. I personally turn off the 5GHz band but that's up to you. Most if not all of you equipment should recognise the new Hub seamlessly. Fingers crossed!

Message 6 of 12

Well if BT gave us this inside knowledge/ information then it would make the whole process much easier. All I got from them was if its not a fault we cannot help. Such **bleep** customer service
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 12

The info is freely available here is you do a search with key words.
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 12

I dont have a contract with Open Reach so I can only address BT with any issues. It doesn't matter who makes the changes its BT who provide my end service and they are responsible.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 12

TBH , if you changed provider and they provided a different router , you would have exactly the same thing to do , if your router went faulty and had to be replaced you would have exactly the same thing to do , what’s required of you isn’t really much at all .

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 12

Thank you for HHGTTG's reply which gives detailed instructions on what to do to change the SSID etc something I knew nothing about. This was the best way to sort this mess BT put me in. Why could they not have told me how to do that???

Again BT customer service lacking can't understand why I have stayed with them so long.😒

0 Ratings