cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 3

DrayTek Vigor 167

Go to solution

I know this question has been done to death on many forums on the web but it’s been pretty quiet the last year or so and I feel like I’ve tried everything to no avail!

I have BT broadband 100 (FTTC). I have a BT smart hub 2 that works perfectly well. I’m a nerd and have been getting more and more interested in networking. I was keen to setup my home network to have a physical firewall running OPNsense or pfSense (with plans to virtualise later). My impression is that you ideally want an internet access via a modem only mode that the firewall/router can sit behind. It’s pretty extensively documented that the home version of the Smart Hub 2 can’t do this.

So after a lot of research the DrayTek Vigor 167 seemed to be a reasonable option. However I can not get the damn thing to work. It seems to be a DSL issue - the DSL light constantly flashes, in spite of anything I do!

the second I plug the Smart Hub back in (same cables etc) I’m back on line.

The Vigor 167 is a UK version. I have put the latest (UK) firmware on it (5.2.5 I think). I have followed all the setup instructions on what feels like every page of the internet relating to this.

I haven’t got the physical firewall with OPNsense set up so I’m using a Velop WiFi Mesh to do the routing. I’ve tried just setting up without the Velop, just having my PC connected to the Vigor 167 itself (there are instructions to do both).

For the PPPOE settings I’m using “bthomehub@btbroadband.com”, I’ve tried an empty string, “BT” and “bt” as the password. And the VLAN is set to 101.

I have left the Vigor for 30mins so it can learn the DSL but to no avail!

Is there anything I’m missing? Going to call the support guys at DrayTek tomorrow but I’m really just at a complete loss!

Thanks in advance!

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

Re: DrayTek Vigor 167

Go to solution

Isn't broadband 100 G.Fast? The 167 doesn't do G.Fast, the 166 does though.

Message 3 of 3

Re: DrayTek Vigor 167

Go to solution

So looks like my research was pretty shoddy. Thanks for the fast reply - this makes sense. 🤦 

0 Ratings