cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 12

Dynamic DNS

Hi, 

Please excuse the newbie question.

I have set up Dynamic DNS within BT Smart Hub 2 with the service status showing 'connected' and when I try and connect to my hub on my local network using the Dynamic name everything is ok. I get the home screen.

The problem that I have is that I cannot access the Smart Hub using the dynamic name from a device that is not attached to the local network. e.g. the real reason for using Dynamic DNS (rather than drive 1 hour to physically do so). I type the Dynamic DNS into a web browser and nothing happens.

Any ideas as to what I am missing to make this work.

Thanks for your help.

Regards,

Graham.

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12

Re: Dynamic DNS

You can't connect to the hub management page remotely, or do you mean you can't access any devices on your local network remotely?

Have you port forwarded the relevant port to the relevant device if the latter.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 12

Hi,
Thanks for the prompt reply.
I was trying to access the hub management page remotely not a device on the network.
That's a shame as I have an hours drive to get to the hub physically 😞
Thanks,
Graham.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 12

For security reasons you don't want to expose your Hub's GUI directly. Use Dynamic DNS and then set up a VPN server to access it and your other devices on that local network.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 12

@GrahamWillsher 

I am sure somebody mentioned that you can remote reset the home hub using the BT app, if that is what you want to do. I also think you can access some of the hub management pages. It would the same method as the helpdesk use.

From the BT help pages.

"Can I reset my BT Hub remotely?

The My BT app is the quickest and easiest way to get help when you need it, and you can manually update the router from your smartphone. The app also lets you restart your BT Hub remotely and track any faults you have raised."
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 12

HI @jac_95 ,

Thanks for your reply.

Does this mean that using a VPN I can actually access the hub's GUI?

I need to access the GUI as for some reason the 2.4Ghz Wifi gets switched off and we have a device that needs it. Thus I need to get into the GUI to switch it back on.

It takes about 5 mins to do it locally but 2 hours round trip to get there and back.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 12

Yes you'll be able to access the Smart Hub's GUI once you have connected to your VPN Server. You can set on up on an existing device (will need to be running in order to connect to it) or even on something like a raspberry pi

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 12

HI @jac_95 ,

Thanks for the reply.

Do you now if there is a way to post a feature request to BT to add 'Remote Management' to their Smart Hubs?

As I would prefer not to have to put a PC, or similar device, in a remote property to achieve something that is available on third party routers.

Thanks Graham.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 12

I would have thought the better option would be to replace the faulty SH2?

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 12

Hi,

I don't know if it is a faulty Hub, or if someone in the property logs in and switches the 2.4GHz off.

If I could connect remotely I would also be able to look at the logs to see if someone had logged in and changed any settings.

I get a notification when the device that should be connected to 2.4GHz disconnects, so I have a time frame to search on.

Thanks,

Graham.

0 Ratings