cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 4

Err_name_not_resolved

Hi - I'm hoping that this is the right area for this question. I have a work provided Macbook which has recently had real problems opening webpages at home. On searching for any web site it displays a ''waiting for Google'' message for around 30 seconds  followed by 'DNS Probe Started'. Sometimes the page will then open, other times it turns to a ''Err Name Not Resolved'' message, which either stays there or occasionally disappears as the page eventually does open - maybe another 20/30 seconds later. This happens on WiFi or cabled to a Smart Hub 2. If I test the same web pages with my android phone or windows laptop there's no delay - the pages appear quickly, as expected. Trying the Macbook on a neighbours WiFi or a Hotspot from my phone also removes the problem - all the pages open quickly and correctly. I've tried various internet suggested fixes for the ''err name not resolved'' problem, and rebooted the Hub, but no difference. So I'm totally confused - if it was my home connection wouldn't my other devices be suffering, but if it's the Macbook why is it ok on alternative wifi? Any suggestions appreciated!

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Re: Err_name_not_resolved

Make sure web protect and parental controls are turned off.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 4

Thanks for your suggestion. The parental control wasn't activated but Web Protect was switched on (has that always been on? - I've not altered anything on there for years!). It says it will be switched off in the next 2 hours - so I'll keep trying and see if that was the cause. Thanks again.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 4

Sadly......2 hours later and the problem still exists. For a brief spell it did return to normal, before dropping back to its previous problem - so this is everyone's favourite fault - an intermittent one! Thanks anyway.

0 Ratings