cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5

Ethernet switch for full fibre 900

I got this from argos but it slows my download speed to a 10th of what it was...

"TP-Link 5 Port Gigabit Ethernet Switch"

For example on Steam I usually download games at about 110MBs and now with this it's 10MBs.

Can anyone tell me what type of switch I would need to maintain the full speed of my Internet on everything connected to this.

Cheers!

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: Ethernet switch for full fibre 900

@ickpers 

That switch should be fine, but it looks like its auto-negotiating to 100mbs instead of 1000mbs.

Are you using fully wired Ethernet cables between the home hub and the switch, and the switch and your PC?

They should be Cat5e or Cat6 patch cables.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 5

I have two cat 7 cables and a cat 5e plugged into it. I will look to see if there are any other cables around the house to check. 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 5

Sometimes having an old device that has only a 100Mb network card connected to the switch can cause confusion.

I have an old BT TV box connected.  If the power resets during the night due to a glitch it sees only a 100Mb device when it renegotiates and the switch then adopts 100Mb/s for the uplink back to the router.  Only happens about once every four months.  Just unplugging the cable and plugging it back in corrects it.  You might have something similar going on if one of your devices is a 100Mb card.

Also, are you sure the 5e cables are “e”.  Some of the old cat 5 was four wires only and that won’t go beyond 100Mb

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 5

I've had the 8 port version of the same switch for years.  It'll handle mixed-speed clients without breaking a sweat.  Not sure I can say the same for Steam though!  I'm on 900/100 (934/104 actual) and a quick download test measured at the router on Steam had the connection peak at 360Mbps (45MBps), but was mostly just 96Mbps (12MBps).  To a degree, that just how Steam rolls!  My having a 900Mbps connection does not mean that everyone is going to serve to it that fast!

I only learn by making mistakes and owning up to them - boy do I learn a lot!
0 Ratings