cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5

Extending ONT Power Supply Cable.

Go to solution

I have just had FTTP installed and need to extend the ONT power supply cable instead of having an electrical socket installed.

The extension will be 5mts in length, I understand the PS is 12v . Would I suffer any power loss over this length or is it safe to buy any 5mt extension cable online? 

I would be grateful for any help and if anyone has done this ,suggestions as to which cable I should buy.

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: Extending ONT Power Supply Cable.

Go to solution

@Vicksburg 

Any voltage drop over 5 metres is not going to be significant, as the current drawn by the ONT is quite small.

Internally the voltage is dropped to a lower voltage to power the internal circuitry. The choice of 12V is to provide a standard that is supported by many devices, and is readily available from standby batteries.

Message 3 of 5

Go to solution

That's great, I appreciate your prompt response, so I assume any  quality cable bought online would be OK. 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 5

Go to solution

Cable that connects those types of "co-axial" connectors, would normally be of sufficient diameter. They are often used to extend CCTV cameras.

Make sure the connectors match the existing ones, as there are large variations available, and some may be the correct outside diameter, but the inside connector may not be the right size.

Message 5 of 5

Go to solution

Thanks very much, much appreciated. 

0 Ratings