cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 16

FTTP New build ethernet ports

Hello there, I'm going to try and be as detailed as possible, so sorry about the length of this question.

Moved into new build, using Full fibre 900mb.. Next to the ONT is 5 ethernet ports, (even though there's only 3 upstairs)  these were annoyingly not labeled.. after trial and error I found the port that matched my bedroom. I connected it up, and wired my xbox, getting all excited to download games fast, and play with very low latency.. however, the wire connection keeps dropping out then popping up every 5 seconds, as if I was removing the wire then plugging it in... I tried several wires so I know its not them.  Has anyone got any ideas? I also tried moving the Hub upstairs into my room and wiring from the actual hub..  but that degraded everyone's speed and put my xbox into strict nat type.. although it wasn't dropping out every 5 seconds, it definitely wasnt usable...

Thanks in advance 

0 Ratings
15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16

Re: FTTP New build ethernet ports

Sounds as though there is a dodgy punch down somewhere in the structured wiring.  If it was done properly, it should have been tested and certified afterwards.  I bet that doesn't happen in domestic builds very often.

Message 3 of 16

I agree with @WSH sounds like a problem with the wiring. DO you have a long ethernet cable you could run from the router to your xbox  to test it by eliminating the installed Ethernet? Alternatively can you move the xbox down close to the SH2 to carry out a test with a  short Ethernet cable?  

Message 4 of 16

It's worth buying an RJ45 tester - they are only about £10 to buy - it will check there is signal continuity on each of the eight wires.  You could also try unscrewing the faceplate and seeing if any of the eight wires are not fully punched down.

Yeah, you could be right with that.. is it something BT could help with? Whether I have to pay or not.. 

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 16

• yeah, my son is connected directly to the hub via ethernet.. no issues, very good connection.. I ran some ethernet under the carpets before they were laid.. wish I did that for mine now
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 16

Your internal wiring is entirely your responsibility and nothing to do with BT.

Message 8 of 16

I'll look into this.. cheers for that mate 

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 16

Yeah I figured.. do you know who would be best to contact to fix? I'm not very versed in this, would a electrician be able to sort it do you think? I know it's data and not spark.. but same principle?

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 16

Not really, sparkies are generally not good at data wiring although they are probably getting better at it as it becomes more common.

You might find a suitable tradesman in your local paper.