cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 31

Re: Full Fibre - which hub?

Go to solution

It seems that BT have started shipping EE routers, so maybe that's what you're getting? I have no idea whether that's just a SH2 in a new dress or a different device. If it is different then that would explain why the discs wouldn't work. Sadly as we've seen time & again, it's also entirely possible that whoever you spoke to had no idea what they were talking about.

But just because they send you a router doesn't mean you have to use it. No reason why you can't continue with the current setup. Check the management page of the SH2 to ensure that the FTTP mode is available & you're good to go.

But as @Keith_Beddoe alluded to, for the vast majority a 900Mb connection is complete overkill.

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 31

Go to solution

It seems its the EE Smart Hub which is the same as the BT Smart Hub 2.

0 Ratings
Message 13 of 31

Go to solution

Really useful all, assuming the discs don't work as BT have now said I need to return them, would you have any recommendations for any extenders that plug easily into a socket rather the discs that need somewhere to then sit. Any recommendations would be appreciated as I work from home and the hosue is 3 storeys.  Does feel like I should stay is and not fix something that isn't broken but it's a very good BF DEAL to move to the fibre 900.

0 Ratings
Message 14 of 31

Go to solution

Presumably you have the discs as part of a Halo package, are you not carrying that forward to the new deal? It seems kind of bizarre that you would be forced to downgrade this element when others have had requests to downgrade flatly refused. I kind of suspect you're on the wrong end of typical BT miscommunication to its staff. You may need a Moderator to confirm what's going on both for yours & others benefit

Are you staying with BT or moving to EE?

You can use powerline based extenders where one master unit connects to the Hub & then others plug in where you need them & provide WiFi. But they would be wholly dependent on the quality & configuration of your mains wiring. Have a look at TP-Link's web site for examples.

The other option would be a WiFi mesh system like the BT discs.

0 Ratings
Message 15 of 31

Go to solution

I originally called BT to take up their full fibre deal as it has just launched where I live. I was told it would be now EE and they placed an order and said I would keep the same equipment. All was good. They said I would receive an email confirming install date. I received no mail and so called BT back who then said they would speak to EE (as far as I was concerned I had only ever spoken to BT). BT said that EE had a systems issue and had lost all orders on Saturday and so they had no detail of my order.  They then said they would set up a new order through BT (which is who I have been dealing with all the way along). They ordered my Fibre 900 as we are a high usage household and said I would need a new hub (I have a smart hub 2 currently) and that I would no longer be able to use the BT discs and I must return them or face a penalty of £30.  Now I am worried that I will receive exactly the same hub but have no discs and this is a problem for me as I need to have a good signal. I also to pay to keep my phone line which I don't want but they said I can cancel that after the full fibre is installed.  Both contacts at BT have told me.different things and so not sure whether to cancel it all or risk that I can get extenders to help the signal when it's all connected. 

0 Ratings
Message 16 of 31

Go to solution

Unless a Moderator can step in & sort it out for you, I'd be inclined to cancel. Then wait until all of the orders have cancelled before trying again, perhaps in the January sales. Hopefully by then BT/EE will have sorted out this **bleep** show.

0 Ratings
Message 17 of 31

Go to solution

Hi, @ItsJustMe I'm really sorry, it's hard to say what's happening without taking a look at the order but it does sound like the complete wifi add-on has not been included in the upgraded plan. I'll send you a private message and the moderation team will be happy to take a look.

Thanks

Neil 

Message 18 of 31

Go to solution

Appreciate all of the advice everyone. As a customer it is confusing when you think you are dealing with BT who you called and then its going back and forth with EE which just then makes you worry about what will actually happen especially when you can't afford to lose connection, I need it for work. Can't fault the advisors as they were polite but both offered contradicting advice. Appreciate support of moderators and will see how it goes as my install is in a week and so will cancel if I can't find an answer.  WiFi extenders, minefield to me and so any recommendations are appreciated as I can't plug from a hub to a device, wireless all the way !  

0 Ratings
Message 19 of 31

Go to solution

If they send you an EE Smart Hub (no plus) then this is literally just a BT Smart Hub 2 with a new case. There is a YouTube Video you can find when you search for EE Smart Hub 2023 which does a literal breakdown and found they are exactly the same board inside. So the discs you currently have 'will/should' work with that router.

If however they are sending an EE Smart Hub Plus, then this is a different router and the discs will not work.

It is confusing, because the:

Plusnet Hub Two

BT Smart Hub 2

EE Smart Router (Pre-2023)

EE Smart Hub (2023)

Are all the same router (The EE Pre-2023 just sans the ATA phone port and DV capability)

I wish they would just name it all the same name and stop changing things around so much. It's a little tedious trying to keep track of it.

0 Ratings
Message 20 of 31

Go to solution

Blimey and I thought AOL dial up was confusing !  Just want a router that gives me decent Internet.  If the discs did work then would happily pay the £30 to keep the one I have!  It sounds like they may not work and so I will have fibre 900 to the door ! And then a speed challenge around-the-house.  Based upon whatever box they do provide, what extender would you go for or would you say cancel the lot and stay on fibre 2 with 1 disc  or god forbid call virgin.... touched for the very first time. 

0 Ratings