cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 24

Help! BT blocking a website i was building!

Hi, I was in the middle of making a website (www.MattyEdgell.com) and suddenly it didn't load. So i check the hosting and they say its fine, they send me a screenshot of being able to see it, all services running 100% etc. So i head to BT and getting help from their technical support staff - it's like pulling teeth, I'm sure the sapling in my garden knows more than them! been talking to them 5/6 times and to be honest I'm exhausted. So here I am...

Anyway, here's the lowdown of what i've done so far...

1. I tried 5 different laptops, 4 windows, one Apple Mac - none would show the site on my BT wifi.
2. When i turned wifi off and tethered to my phones 5G network, the website loaded - must be a BT issue.
3. I unplug my router for 20 mins as advised by their 'support' staff. Still won't load the site.
4. I clear my caches, use a private browser, try all the other laptops again, as advised by the 'support' staff. Still won't load the site.
5. I use a pin and hit the 'reset router' button on the back of the router. Still won't load the site.
6. I go back to my hosting as the BT 'support' staff are blaming them - even though i can see it on 5G. They check, do loads of pings and tracers etc. all fine. it isn't the website.
7. I've lost 3 days now and my clients think i'm still working on it and clearly am not. So urgently need this fixing! I did a load of googling and saw people talking about my IP potentially being on a blacklist.
8. So i checked my IP and sure enough it was on a blacklist for 'Barracuda' and 'Spamhaus' - never heard of these and don't know why or how they got there. or even if it's relevant?
9. Went back to BT and the 'support' staff tried to flog me business services so then i could change my IP rather than actually address the problem. So i stopped talking to those jokers. What a waste of money they are.
10. I've contacted Barracuda and explained the issue and they say they've removed my IP.
11. I can't seem to find an easy way to contact Spamhaus but on their website they say "This IP is listed on the Policy Blocklist (PBL) The inclusion of your IP address on the Policy Blocklist (PBL) is standard for the vast majority of internet users and is not the result of your actions." it goes onto list some points, one of which says "Listings on this blocklist are controlled by either your Internet Service Provider (ISP) or Spamhaus". BT insist they can't do anything but upgrade me to business to change my IP.

Can anyone shed any light? this is really doing me over and the 2 places i thought were causing it or would be able to help resolve aren't helping.

Next stop i will switch internet providers because this project is fairly large and i need it.

Thanks

Tags (4)
0 Ratings
23 REPLIES 23
Message 2 of 24

Re: Help! BT blocking a website i was building!

The website isn't running on your machine, it is running on your host's server so your IP address is irrelevant.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 24

How come only my IP is being blocked from accessing it? everyone else can access it, i can if i use 5G, but not my BT wifi.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 24

Its not just your IP, I can't access it via BT but can via 4G.

Seems a DNS problem with your host, or BT are blocking it.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 24

Oh interesting! can you share a screenshot of what you see with BT please?

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 24

As I said, I CAN'T access it via BT. Via 4G it just shows a holding page of some bloke in an apron.

You can try contacting BT at saferbrowsing@bt.com to check if they have blocked it.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 24

I am presently out of the UK and I can access your site. It is showing a page stating the site is under construction.

Message 8 of 24

Yes i know, i wanted to see what the error was.
Apron dude is correct when it's working right.
0 Ratings
Message 9 of 24

yes, it seems everyone can access it unless they are using BT - so either BT blocking the site, or the site blocking BT.. but neither seem to be able to see or help whether it's them? so not sure where to go.
0 Ratings
Message 10 of 24

Try emailing the address I posted.