cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

Hi does anyone know if the bt super hub can be put into static ip mode on fibre optic

Go to solution

i only ask this because when i use a third party router in pppoe mode on it does so far stay static for over a month now. 

i would like to use the bt super hub for the digital voice but the static ip seems to change quite frequently every day or two.

i know residential doesnt offer the static ip mode but is there any sort of work around to make it last longer.

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: Hi does anyone know if the bt super hub can be put into static ip mode on fibre optic

Go to solution

There is no workaround, BT residential broadband does not offer static public IP addresses.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 8

Re: Hi does anyone know if the bt super hub can be put into static ip mode on fibre optic

Go to solution

@Marg7 

Why does it matter to you that the IP Address is relatively static?

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 8

Go to solution

You will get a new dynamic IP address every time the connection drops. If that happens more frequently with the BT SH2 it is simply because it is dropping the connection more frequently. As you are forced to use it in order to use Digital Voice, your options are extremely limited.

You can forego BT's Digital Voice & use another VOIP provider. Although whether you'd successfully retain your number or even your broadband service would seem to depend on which way the wind is blowing that day.

Switch to another provider that does offer a static IP.

If you want this to access your network from outside then a DDNS service can achieve that with a dynamically changing IP address.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 8

Go to solution

even if i could get it to stay static for 3 days that would be great.

my other router is a cable router not a adsl/vdsl router. could that be the reason. 

i may just end up doing this below. the post by chrisu regarding a asus router which i also have.

https://forums.thinkbroadband.com/fibre/4664092-bt-fttp-with-digital-voice-alternative-to-smart-hub-...

thanks for answers.. bye

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 8

Go to solution

You still won't have a static IP, whatever you do although it may possibly be more stable.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 8

Go to solution

thanks, as i mentioned in previous posts a third party router will stay static for 1 month at least. which is good enough for me.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 8

Go to solution

@Marg7 

Maybe maybe not , there's no certainty about retaining the same ip address.

It would help us to help you if we knew why it's important.

I need to access my home network whilst out so I use a DDNS service which might be all you need.