cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 14

Higher Resting Latency and Jittering

Quick Note:

- My PC is the ONLY device currently and ever on this broadband / installation of WIFI.

- It is connected directly to the hub via ethernet cable which is connected directly to the master socket.

- Speeds are fine, just the latency and ping.

-I have been through basic support and they have said my lines / local area is having 0 issues.

- I believe the PingPlotter proves the jittering and higher latency lies at the ISP server suggested by where the higher latency hops occur as Hop1 and the last hop have no issues (My end and the DNS being google)

Since the latest firmware update on Mon Dec 11,19:31:49, 2023 I have noticed an increase in my resting latency after around 5-10mins after I restart the hub. Originally and for the past 13months my resting latency was 7ms but now it lies between 10-13ms with jittering and causing me unable to play games competitively.

(Image 1) I'm not showing hops 1-3 but they were completely fine as I checked, but you can see this sudden increase in latency over this 10second interval graph

Screenshot 2023-12-12 231126.png

(Image 2) shows the same thing occurring the next day after I restarted the hub again in a 5 second interval.

dwadwa.png

(More noise and line attenuation details here)

Screenshot 2023-12-13 202100.png

My thoughts are it is the ISP server my router is bouncing off as I've seen it be slough . ukcore and redbus . ukcore I'm not sure if this switching is normal for traceroutes so that probably is normal.

Can anyone confirm or deny whether it is the ISP servers issue and how to resolve this problem and get back to a stable 7ms latency please !!

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14

Re: Higher Resting Latency and Jittering

Does 5 or 6 ms make that much difference?  If memory serves, that's about a 1/50 of human reaction times any way.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 14

The difference in latency probably isn't the problem, I find the fact it jumps up to that consistently after I restart the hub when it used to always sit at 6-7ms. When it's always been that low its bizarre it now sits higher and is causing jittering issues
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 14

So, if I've understood your screenshot correctly, the jitter is less than 1ms?  My original question stands.  Does it really make that much difference?

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 14

I'll fetch some better screenshots as they were to demonstrate the jump in latency where as now testing in game (CS2) I am missing packets and latency is fluctuating.  Just tried fortnite too and ping is fluctuating.

To answer your question Yes, assumed being wired directly for over a year having no issues playing the game to a high level I can immediately tell when something is off either being shots missed or slight change in movement etc... noticing this change when pinging regular DNS'. 

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 14

Fair enough.  I’m not a gamer myself, so I wouldn’t know but I found it difficult to believe such a small time interval makes any real difference.  No offence meant.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 14

No worries none taken, the ms response in CMD doesn't reflect 1 to 1 with in-game latency / ping as that's mostly be 30+ unless the server is in the UK it'll be around 20ms.

It's when pinging a server such as google, and the return time increases after 10mins of hub restart from what it used to be, to this new resting latency which also has introduced more practical jittering than shows in the images, it's just odd to me.

Again, I'm almost certain this began after this firmware update on Monday and believe it's out of my control, but willing to pay for an engineer to come and check the lines and for any disturbance that's all 🙂

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 14

Screenshot 2023-12-13 213803.pngScreenshot 2023-12-13 213931.pngScreenshot 2023-12-13 215041.png

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 14

Interesting you mention the firmware update.  I see it's an incremental update on v41.  That in itself suggests they've had a problem with v41.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 14

Yeah that's what I'm thinking and I have competitive matches with time stamps and when I could tell night and day when something was off, matches the19:30 timestamp of this firmware update I was unaware was even happening

0 Ratings