cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 18

Re: Hot Spot active - not wanted

Go to solution

I don't think opting out of BT Wi-Fi is going to save you that much bandwidth if that's what you're trying to do, and in any case your bandwidth requirements should be prioritized over that of anyone using the hotspot (or so it's claimed anyway).

It's strange how your download drops at 1 every morning by the same amount that ch465 requires, have you by any chance got a regular scheduled event on record for that channel at that time of day?
Also have you tried turning the pro box off just before you go to bed one night and checking the numbers the following morning just to eliminate it

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 18

Go to solution

It isn't the bandwidth I want - it is the active WiFi channel to disappear. The Hot Spot channel in 5GHz is still there if I disable 5GHz.

Re the 29Mb issue - they swapped the Box Pro and for a while the 1am drop stopped - but is now back.

The Box Pro can be switched off at the mains overnight - and the 29Mb drop still occurs at 1am (±10min).  It is as if the BT system at the BT end is allocating the bandwidth for the stream even when not required. Can even turn the Wifi off.

I would expect the 29Mb drop to occur if #465 was active - but it doesn't need to be active for the drop to start.  The dataspeed in the modem stays at around 56-57M.

I get a regular download speed of 53Mb.

After 1am it drops to 24Mb.

Switch Box Pro on to #465 and download stays at 24Mb. In fact changing to any channel and it stays at 24Mb.

Switch Box Pro off and download returns to 53Mb within a couple of minites.

It will drop to 24Mb again either at 1am or if I restore #465.

When at 53M - if I switch Box Pro on the drop in download is proportionate to the channel I tune to. It is only 29M on #433 and #465.

Been an issue now for nearly two years.  BT support now seem confident the issue is in their system itself - but no idea where.

@Les-Gibsonwrote:

I don't think opting out of BT Wi-Fi is going to save you that much bandwidth if that's what you're trying to do, and in any case your bandwidth requirements should be prioritized over that of anyone using the hotspot (or so it's claimed anyway).

It's strange how your download drops at 1 every morning by the same amount that ch465 requires, have you by any chance got a regular scheduled event on record for that channel at that time of day?
Also have you tried turning the pro box off just before you go to bed one night and checking the numbers the following morning just to eliminate it

---------------------------------------------------------------
Fibre 2 Unlimited using EE Smart Hub 2 with EE TV Box Pro (UHD/HDR) in IP mode.
0 Ratings
Message 13 of 18

Go to solution

Strange that it should be so regular, frantically grasping at an ever-diminishing number of straws, are you on an off-peak electricity plan, I was thinking that maybe there's some noise generated on your mains supply when the meter switches tariffs

0 Ratings
Message 14 of 18

Go to solution

I have notified the moderators of the forum about your BTWifi opt out problem. Once they have read this they may be able to help. They are very busy at present so it can take up to 24 hours for them to contact you. They will do this by posting on this thread.

Message 15 of 18

Go to solution

Nothing like that - and the drop is fixed at 29M until I do something to reset it.

Openreach came out last week while it was dropped and did as much as they could do to test before reseting to do a full check.

They were happy that the data rate available was well over 50M - but their own devices with speed tests (wired and wifi) showed the 29M drop in available data for the user. They are sure the 29M is being reserved by something BT's side.

BT seem happy it is not a local issue here unless something in the cabinet is switching. Everything from the Box Pro back to the cabinet has been changed - even the underground cable to the house.

@Les-Gibsonwrote:

Strange that it should be so regular, frantically grasping at an ever-diminishing number of straws, are you on an off-peak electricity plan, I was thinking that maybe there's some noise generated on your mains supply when the meter switches tariffs

0 Ratings
Message 16 of 18

Go to solution

Cheers -

@gg30340wrote:

I have notified the moderators of the forum about your BTWifi opt out problem. Once they have read this they may be able to help. They are very busy at present so it can take up to 24 hours for them to contact you. They will do this by posting on this thread.

0 Ratings
Message 17 of 18

Go to solution

Hi @ozsat,

I am sorry that there seems to be an issue with your online profile stopping you from opting in or out of BT Wifi. We'll get that looked into for you. If you need us to look into anything else, just let me know when you reply back to my private message.

Thanks @gg30340 and @Keith_Beddoe for dropping a line to me.

Thanks
DanielS

Message 18 of 18

Go to solution

Fixed today - thank you all

@NeilOraised a fault.

0 Ratings