cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

How do I move my router if it has to be connected to the master socket?

Hello! I want to move the router to my room for a direct connection to my PC, as I currently use a powerline setup and is sometimes unstable. However, the router must be connected to the master socket which is on the living room, and the router has to be connected to it. Are there any solutions to this? I have considered running the master socket connection through powerline but I think it would pretty much be the same thing.

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: How do I move my router if it has to be connected to the master socket?

If it really is a master socket & not an ONT then you can just use a long xDSL cable. But your mention of using the powerline suggests it is an ONT?

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 7

if using the master socket I presume you are on FTTC - fibre to can and copper to home.  which master socket do you have

Keith_Beddoe_1-1577035100602.jpegKeith_Beddoe_0-1577035081757.jpeg

do you have an extension socket in your room connected back to the master socket?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

You can not run the master socket through a powerline.

You would need tun a telephone extension cable which might cause a reduction in speed or get the master socket moved.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 7

Hello! I have socket number seven, the openreach MK4. I do not have any other extensions, this is the only socket in the entire house. 

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

You could get BT ( that’s assuming because you have posted on BT customer forum that you are a BT customer ) to get Openreach to relocate the master socket , but that’s not cheap ( £100 ish ) alternatively , assuming it’s a wired and not wireless connection you need , run a long Ethernet cable yourself from the current router location to your PC, or as stated a longer xdsl ran from the socket although this is more likely to impact the performance of your broadband service.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 7

Simply get a long RJ11 - RJ11 cord  as a replacement for the existing short RJ11 - RJ11 cord connecting your master socket to the router.

0 Ratings