cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 30

How do I remove (temporarily) devices from my BT Smart Hub 2 in order to fix a problem with my tv

Go to solution

I have had a long standing problem with my TV relating to the Player apps such as BBC iPlayer.  I cannot launch the apps without first having to carry out a soft re-boot of the television each time.  I've had Sonly and a TV repair company involved in seeking to fix this fault without success as well as a BT home engineer check out the Hub. 

The supplier of the TV, which is still under warranty, has suggested that I can fix the problem by going into Hub Manager, Advanced Settings and My Network.  At the bottom of the screen is a list of devices connected to my network.  There is a "remove" button against each device.  I've been advised to remove all the devices from the Hub using this button - only I cannot get it to work!   The other part of this fix is then after removing the devices from the Hub is to first disconnect it from the wall socket and wait 30 seconds then disconnect the TV in the same way.   

Can anyone tell me if this "remove" button actually does remove the devices (temporarily), and if it does, why can't I get it to work? 

BillR

0 Ratings
29 REPLIES 29
Message 2 of 30

Re: How do I remove (temporarily) devices from my BT Smart Hub 2 in order to fix a problem with my t

Go to solution

The remove button does work but only if the device is shown as inactive (grey background) you won't be able to remove anything shown on a green background. In any case the advice that you were given sounds like a load of doodah, it simply doesn't make sense.

If you still want to try it then the best way would be to backup the present config of your hub if you have any set any personalisations (port forwarding etc) and do a factory reset. Once restarted you can turn off Smart setup (which is most likely to be causing your problem) and reload the saved config.

See What is Smart Setup on the BT Hub? How can I turn it on and off? | BT Help 

Message 3 of 30

Re: How do I remove (temporarily) devices from my BT Smart Hub 2 in order to fix a problem with my t

Go to solution

I have to agree that the advice you have been given about removing devices would appear to be a load of rubbish.

Which model of Sony TV do you have and how is it connecting to the Internet. Is it via Ethernet or using wireless?

Have you checked if you have BT Web Protect activated? BT were activating it by default. If it is activated I would suggest that you turn it off and see how you get on.

See link about BT Web Protect.

Learn about BT Web Protect | BT Help

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 30

Go to solution

Thanks for your response.  The tv is a Sony KD49XE8005BU,  which is connected by ethernet to my BT hub.   I deactivated BT Web Protect, but the fault remains.  

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 30

Go to solution

If you have a smartphone with data & signal is good at home, try connecting the TV to that as a WiFi hotspot. If the issue persists you then know it's not the connection but something in the TV.

If not, can you see decent WiFi signal from a neighbour who might let you connect temporarily to test?

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 30

Go to solution

/Have you disabled Smart Setup as advised in message 2

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 30

Go to solution

I tried the suggested fix in your second paragraph: 

If you still want to try it then the best way would be to backup the present config of your hub if you have any set any personalisations (port forwarding etc) and do a factory reset. Once restarted you can turn off Smart setup (which is most likely to be causing your problem) and reload the saved config.

and this appears to have fixed my long standing issue.   Many thanks. 

Message 8 of 30

Go to solution

Yes I disable Smart Setup.  Should I be reinstating it? 

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 30

Go to solution

No, definitely not!!!!

Message 10 of 30

Go to solution

Having said in my previous reply that the fault appears to be fixed, it hasn't, which is quite frustrating.   I've had several of these 'false dawns', when I think the issue has been resolved, only for it to return.   Any other  thoughts?   

0 Ratings