cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 3

How does moving to Fibre change my socket layout?

Go to solution

Hey!

Here is my simplified flat!

Untitled.jpg

Recently Openreach installed a small fibre box above my front door (bottom right gray with arrow).

So I ordered 900 at last!

An engineer has to come out at the end of the month.  I need to ask my Landlord (and optionally ignore him)!

So  they are going to drill into the flat, and then as far as I understand, are going to drill through to the green box and replace it. That is also the electrical cupboard but there is no electrical socket in that cupboard and that is where the "Master Phone Socket" in days gone by exists.

But I have 2 other sockets in orange.  The top right is garbage and never used (yet), however  the top left is where I have my Hub connected to.  From there I use Network cable to my work PC and TV PC (top left of top box unmarked).

So I have 2 questions:

1. What happens to the orange boxes? Are they just dead?
2. If they are dead, can I ask to make top left the new main?

Thanks!

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

Re: How does moving to Fibre change my socket layout?

Go to solution

The video and information from Openreach will help explain: https://www.openreach.com/help-and-support/full-fibre-broadband-installation-checklist

You're best discussing with the engineer that comes around to do the internal installation on where you want your ONT, router and digital voice phone service to be installed (if ordered).

As long as it's within reason and not lots of internal wiring to be laid then it should be fine.

The ONT will require power along with the router so a double power socket is needed.

Your other phone sockets (including the previous master socket) and internal copper wiring will become redundant.

Message 3 of 3

Re: How does moving to Fibre change my socket layout?

Go to solution

If the landlord is a pain with the install, tell him that going forward, FTTP is going to be the default because there is a rolling nationwide stop sell on ADSL/VDSL/FTTC(except in certain circumstances), so it would be better for him and his tenants if gets future proofed now!

If he does not believe you, then it can be easily Googled and shown to him.

0 Ratings