cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 46

Re: How to configure HG612 modem to connect to BT Broadband ?

Go to solution

One last time & then I'll give up. You don't put any credentials into the modem, you enter them in the router...

Message 12 of 46

Go to solution

Exactly that, as has been pointed out multiple times on the thread.

In its default configuration absolutely nothing is required to be changed.

0 Ratings
Message 13 of 46

Go to solution

I apologies for getting you guys frustrated. I did not compute in my head that the bthomehub@btbroadband.com/BT setting had to go into the USG router. I have always seen this setting put into the BT device before, eg the HomeHub's. I am sincerely sorry for the misunderstanding.  However thank for persisting with me.

In the Unifi USG Controller Cloud Software there are very few settings I could find for the WAN port other than renaming it or changing the Ethernet media negotiated speed. ie:

usg_control_wan_settings.png

After some googling I found that there are some other settings which can only be accessed by bringing up the embedded webpage at 192.168.1.1, ie not through the management software provided. The default for the WAN was DHCP so I changed it to PPPoE which then allow the entry of user/password. So I put the BT credentials in the boxes. It also seemed to allow the entry of a DNS and Alt DNS. Not knowing what they should be I tried leaving them blank and I have tried googles 8.8.8.8 & 8.8.4.4. Neither seemed to work :

usg_webpage_settings.png

On the HG612 the DSL LED is lit, so I assume it thinks there is some sort of line connection. The WAN port of the USG is into LAN1 on the HG612 and the LED's on the port are green and flash occasionally.

However the USG is not seeing internet connectivity, as per the above screen shot.

So do we think the HG612 is broke or am I missing some other settings in the USG ? I am considering getting another eBay HG612. However I may still have the 'who knows what the last guy did to it' nag.

The other option might be to try some of the older BT Hubs I still have kicking about but I am not sure if any of them have a 'Bridge Mode' option.

Looking in my re-cycle pile I have BT Home Hub 2.0 and Home Hub 5.0 - Type B. The 5.0 Type B has a red WAN port on the back, not sure if that makes it a promising option ?

0 Ratings
Message 14 of 46

Go to solution

Sanity check, make doubly sure that you are connected to LAN1 of the modem.

Your router also appears to have the same gateway address as the HG612, so make sure that LAN2 of the modem isn't connected.

You may be able to use the SH2 to verify that the HG612 is working. Connect to it's web interface & enable Fibre Mode. That will turn LAN4 into a WAN port & you can then connect LAN4 to LAN1 of the modem. If it works the you know the issue is with the configuration.

You could also connect a PC directly to LAN1 of the HG612 & configure the PPPoE session on that.

How to set up a PPPoE connection on Windows 8&10 | TP-Link United Kingdom 

Once you're sure the modem is working, you'll need to pursue this with Unify. I see references to "adoption" & "controllers" & have no idea what else may be involved.

Message 15 of 46

Go to solution

I pushed the boat and went and got another BT Openreach HG612 off eBay (it was not advertised as unlocked or anything).

Proving the HG612 works by connecting to the PC seem like sensible debug approach.

So I have now tried to add new PPPoE network connection by directly connecting between the Ethernet port on my laptop and the LAN1 port of the HG612.

I have tried with my Win 11 laptop using these instructions https://getlabsdone.com/how-to-connect-pppoe-on-windows-11/ and also with my old Win 10 laptop.

I have tried with both of the HG612's I have and with different Ethernet leads. Every combination results in the modem connection failing. I always get 'Connection failed with error 651'.

So still stuck, but now with two boxes that both do the same thing.

0 Ratings
Message 16 of 46

Go to solution

Are you sure you are using the correct PPPoE credentials?

the DSL led solid green on the HG612?

username bthomehub@btbroadband.com

password BT

Turn off Wifi on your laptop so that the Ethernet port is definitely being used for connection.

0 Ratings
Message 17 of 46

Go to solution

I tried again with both HG612's and the WiFi turned off :

nurquhar1_0-1675954726575.pngnurquhar1_1-1675954757074.png

Error 651 in both cases.

I believe the connection settings are all correct.

The DSL Light is solid green. Indeed so is the power and LAN1 LED's.

0 Ratings
Message 18 of 46

Go to solution

Try manually adjusting the data rate of the ethernet adapter properties to 100Mb in case auto-negotiation is failing.

Did you try the SH2 in fibre mode as I suggested?

Message 19 of 46

Go to solution

Sorry, never heard of SH2 and how do you configure fibre mode ?

I believe the several miles of ADSL line is copper to the exchange, not sure there is any fibre anywhere. With my BT HomeHub I get about 7mbs. Which is better than the 0mbs they promised in the contract.

0 Ratings
Message 20 of 46

Go to solution

Apologies, I thought you'd posted that you had a Smart Hub 2.

But the HH5 with the WAN port should work with the HG612 into the WAN port.

0 Ratings