cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 58

Issue with Garden Room and Ethernet cable

Go to solution

Hello everyone.  So we have just had a garden room built at the end of the garden and as part of the spec we had an ethernet cable  run the length of the garden to the garden room to provide our internet.  This sits in a sheath along side the power cable.

The issue we have is that despite the electrician testing the ethernet port in the garden room, when we plug it into the extender or even directly into a laptop it just does not recognise it. and we have no internet.  The router has been tested in the main house and the port works with a laptop and as I say the port in the garden room has been tested and works with a machine so is live.   Run out of ideas.  

Are there any settings we need to change to allow for this to work?  Any help would be appreciated.  I didn't think this would be such a headache.

0 Ratings
57 REPLIES 57
Message 2 of 58

Re: Issue with Garden Room and Ethernet cable

Go to solution

Assuming the cable length is not more than 100m and it worked initially it sounds like there is a break in the cable. I also assume that it's plugged directly into your router at the house end and directly into a PC laptop at the garden room end. In other words ROUTER - ETHERNET CABLE (with plugs on both ends) - PC.

You may need to get the installer back.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 58

Go to solution

Thanks for the response. My thought was faulty cable to garden room but the electrician has tested it and I have seen that there is no issue with the port feeding the garden room. It just doesn't work when I put my laptop into it.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 58

Go to solution

When you say tested it, do you know how he tested it?

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 58

Go to solution

With one of these:

[Cable tester from Screwfix]

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 58

Go to solution

Running an ethernet cable alongside a power cable can cause signalling errors on the ethernet.  It might be worth turning the circuit to the garden room off at the house CU and checking whether the laptop can then work in the garden room over the ethernet.

A lot electricians don't understand the requirements of data cabling (I have no idea about yours) but, for example, simply putting a meter on each pair of wires and having a circuit is not proper testing of ethernet cabling. You can buy cheap Ethernet testers  from the likes of Amazon, Screwfix, Ebay etc. for around £10  that can help in simple cases and allow spotting missed connections, crossed wires etc. but cannot give much help on RFI interference caused by power cables etc.

EDIT: Whilst posting I see you highlight exactly the sort of simple tester I refer to. Try the test with the power off.

Message 7 of 58

Go to solution

From what you've now said the electrician has put in ethernet sockets at both ends. You will need to make sure that your two patch cables (router to ethernet socket and ethernet socket to PC laptop) are working correctly. They can be tested by wiring them directly between the router and your PC laptop.

Message 8 of 58

Go to solution

Yes the ethernet cable from router to laptop works so it should work from port in garden room to laptop but unfortunately it doesn't.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 58

Go to solution

Well, it's not a certification tester but it should be enought to confirm it's wired correctly.  That type of tester is only about a fiver.  If you have one it should be 1 to 1, 2 to 2 etc. for all 8 wires.

I'd be surprised if interference stopped it working all together but I must admit running it next to the power cable doesn't fill me with a lot of faith.  It should be exterior grade shielded cable, so it should be OK.  If memory serves, at 230V they should be at least 2" separation even for shielded cable.

Edit: written at the same time as Countrypaul.  I'd agree with his observations.  Mains electricity works or not.  IT cabling works well, works or not.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 58

Go to solution

Just turned power off to the garden room and internet still doesn't work.  This is so frustrating, just can't work out what it can be that's causing the issue.

There are definitely no settings that need to be changed are there?

0 Ratings