cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 21 of 58

Re: Issue with Garden Room and Ethernet cable

Go to solution

The cable in the garden room from ethernet socket to laptop should be the same as that from router to laptop/ethernet port. It would be worth trying it from router to laptop to make sure it too is working properly. If so that only leaves Ethernet socket to ethernet socket as the probable cause. It could be one of the pins in one of the ethernet sockets is not making proper contact or it could be a mistake in the wiring that the simple tester could not detect.

0 Ratings
Message 22 of 58

Go to solution

I do not get any lights whether I plug in the ethernet cable for Garden Room of my laptop, hoever when I plug laptop in it works from router.

0 Ratings
Message 23 of 58

Go to solution

There are 3 links in the chain.

Hub to house socket

House socket to shed socket

Shed socket to laptop

Have you tested that the laptop will connect directly to the hub using link 3 cable as well as link 1 cable?

0 Ratings
Message 24 of 58

Go to solution

@licquorice yes, I can absolutely nothing from the shed socket to laptop, but get it from router to laptop

0 Ratings
Message 25 of 58

Go to solution

You are not answering the question that we have all posed.

You have 2 patch cables, one from the hub to the socket in the house and one from the socket in the shed to your laptop.

Have you tested BOTH patch cables in the house from your laptop to the hub?

0 Ratings
Message 26 of 58

Go to solution

@wyattjnr Am I right in thinking that English is not your first language as  we seem to have a misunderstanding of what we are asking compared to what you are testing?

There should be two patch cables - short cables one from the socket in the garden room used to connect the laptop and one from the socket in the house used to connect the router. We want you to take the short cable from the garden room and use that to connect the laptop directly to the router and confirm that cable works just connecting laptop to router.

You have already confirmed that the house cable that connect the router to the socket works when connecting the router to the laptop,

0 Ratings
Message 27 of 58

Go to solution

@countrypaul English is my first language, I am just a complete techno phobe.    Had to google a patch cable.  I have a patch cable (red cable labelled WAN) into the router in the house from a Openreach box that comes in from outside. In the garden room I have been using an ethernet cable from the socket to the laptop. Is that the wrong cable? It seems to be longer than this patch cable. Does that matter?

0 Ratings
Message 28 of 58

Go to solution

But you also need a patch cable in the house from the hub to the socket the Ethernet cable terminates in.

0 Ratings
Message 29 of 58

Go to solution

So this is what I have in the house, the ethernet cable in Port 1 goes to the garden room.  What am I missing?

WhatsApp Image 2024-09-19 at 14.06.07 (1).jpeg

0 Ratings
Message 30 of 58

Go to solution

Your ‘network’ should exist like this , Ethernet cable from the powered ONT ( where the fibre enters the house , I seems probable you are FTTP ) to the WAN socket  ( the 4th socket on the SH2 router ) the colour of the plugs on the cable doesn’t matter ) .

From any of the other 3 Ethernet sockets a Ethernet cable needs to exist to the network extension cabling your electrician provided, it’s been assumed that the cable is terminated on Ethernet sockets , one near your router and one in the garden room …obviously to make the cable to the garden room ‘live’ it needs connection to an Ethernet socket on the router , so the router has two Ethernet cables in it , one in the 4th port , for the ONT , and one in one of the remaining Ethernet sockets  1, 2 or 3 that connects to the cable to the garden room .

In the Ethernet socket in the garden room , another Ethernet cable from the Ethernet socket to the device ( PC, laptop  etc ) is needed to connect that device ( via the cabling provided by the electrician ) to the router , so in total you need three Ethernet cables …..what you have been asked to do is check all these cables are OK .

If the electrician has simply ran a cable with Ethernet plugs on it at either end ,  so no Ethernet sockets ,  and the cable end ( with a plug on it ) at the garden room is plugged into a PC/laptop and the device won’t connect to the router , then clearly the cable is not working .

0 Ratings