cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 3

Major 5 second voice chat delay now all 4 LAN ethernet are used rather than 2 on wifi.

Depressing, I'm guessing... that the wifi chip can offload some processing power if 2 of the connections are done by wireless? and that with all 4 connections on ethernet LAN, so; two PC's, smart TV, firestick is just too much for this smart hub 2's 1GHz duo core ARM cortex A9 that was launched in 2007... ouch?

Is the A9 capable of handling 4 concurrent connections of the modern day with multiple media streams, gaming, voice, internet? 

Do I really have to have my father's laptop on WiFi to offset this issue?

This issue started with my father going on Ethernet tonight on his laptop along with the TV which had football on which went to ethernet too.

Any ideas? Thanks. 

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

Re: Major 5 second voice chat delay now all 4 LAN ethernet are used rather than 2 on wifi.

The CPU in a router doesn't do the same job as it does in a computer.  Instead, it's more of a managerial role, dictating how data is manipulated rather than actually doing most of the manipulation itself.  The actual manipulation is mostly performed by dedicated high-speed logic circuits (on the same silicon).  So generally you should be able to have multiple data streams WiFi and LAN and any voice chat should still work, even when the connection is close to 90% utilisation! 

*It might seem counter-intuitive but if you are using QoS, try turning it off!

I only learn by making mistakes and owning up to them - boy do I learn a lot!
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 3

Re: Major 5 second voice chat delay now all 4 LAN ethernet are used rather than 2 on wifi.

Thank you for the technical background on this. That's reassuring. Regarding QoS, i see no such thing in the router settings. However, i do know in windows, mine and my father's that we have QoS packet scheduler enabled on our ethernet adapters. Do you reckon disabling both of these will suffice to what you're saying? Also when looking for good third party routers, what hardware stuff should i look for, for performance other than the CPU then? Thank you.

0 Ratings