cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 18

Re: Move Router from ONT but still use patch panel

Forget you have got a patch panel, simply think of your network as just long Ethernet leads. How would you connect things with just leads, it will be exactly the same using the patch panel.

The patch panel is only of use where you have multiple Ethernet ports to service it, i.e a router or a switch.

The simple answer to your original question is no.

Message 12 of 18

From the ONT you need a connection to your router, but from your router you need connections to the rooms. You can patch from the router to the RJ45 in you cupboard to each room and provide ethernet to each room in that way. You will use one cable from router to ONT and 3 cables from router to the RJ45 ports in your cupboard.

If you want to move your router to the lounge you would have to patch the ONT to the RJ45 for the lounge and in the lounge patch from the RJ45 port to the router. There would be no way to connect the other 2 RJ45 ports in the cupboard easily to the router. There are ways round this but none are that simple. You could plug a powerline adapter in a mains socket in the lounge   and patch from router to the powerline adapter, the plug another into a socket in the cupboard and patch from there into the RJ45 for the office and a second patch to the study (some powerline adapters accept 2 ethernet connections).  Note that powerline adapters are very unlikely to give the performance as a proper Ethernet connection.

Why do you want to move the router to the lounge?

0 Ratings
Message 13 of 18

Sorry, forgot an important point in my last...

You would also need a 5 port gigabit unmanaged switch to connect the three patch panel ports together.   Should be less than £20.

0 Ratings
Message 14 of 18

Thanks everyone for you help. I managed to move the router to the lounge through a combination of connecting the wan to the port in the lounge but this has just made there other 2 RJ45 ports in the house unusable. I dont really want to go down the route of using powerline adapters so it looks like it is a non starter

I some ways I am pleased with the outcome because it is what I had thought, its just nice to have confirmation from users who know more than me!

I only wanted to move the router for better wifi coverage in the rest of the house/garden but looks like I might go down the AP route to achieve that 

Thanks

Message 15 of 18

@Paulo4 

Apologies for causing confusion. Note to self to not hastily skim read & post before leaving the house!

The AP would almost certainly be the best solution.

0 Ratings
Message 16 of 18

So just run a single cable from the ONT to the wan port of the router. Then everything else on the network from the other lan ports of the router including any switches. 

0 Ratings
Message 17 of 18

ONT to lounge RJ45 port. Plug hub in

Connect powerline adaptor to hub using one of the RJ45 sockets. In the lounge

Plug the other powerline adaptor into mains socket in cupboard. 

Obtain a 5 port switch, plug 1 port into the powerline adaptor in cupboard, then each of your other ports on the patch panel plug into the switch. 

(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
Message 18 of 18

Thanks, I tried that last night but noticed significant performance drop off from the other 2 RJ45 ports around the house. I have also tried a powerline adapter in the back bedroom and that seems to provide adequate speed into the garden.

I guess another option could be to change the Smart Hub router for something with better Wi-Fi coverage?

0 Ratings