cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5

Moving BT master socket

Go to solution

My BT master socket sits in a really awkward place in the hallway, the cable then runs under the cable where it feeds into my router 

who is the correct person to talk to to move the master socket closer? 

BT or an electrician? 

thank you

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: Moving BT master socket

Go to solution

I would check your local paper and get a local telecom engineer to move it cheaper than openreach

Bear in mind when you move to FTTP and digital voice assuming you are a BT customer then your master socket will no longer be required

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 5

Go to solution
Hi I’m jolly,
Thanks for your quick reply

Im with BT and I’m on fibre 2?

Does that mean I’m not using the master socket and can blank it off??

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 5

Go to solution

You could pay BT to pay Openreach to move it.

Not sure how much that costs these days.

As said, you could just leave the NTE where it is and either hire an Electrician or Independent Comms Tech to put an Extension Socket in for you.

Or you could just do it yourself, if you can wire a plug you can wire up an Extension Socket.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 5

Go to solution

@Sash499 

if on Fibre 2 probably FTTC and you currently use your master socket for your broadband so it is needed.  however when you move to full fibre to your home then master will no longer be needed as another 'box' is installed ONT like this

ont-pon.jpg

depending when that is likely to happen it may not be worth moving existing master

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings