cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

Moving router away from modem

My full fibre modem is in my hall. Can I move the currently plugged in router to somewhere else by plugging in a power line adapter into the modem, moving the router somewhere else and plugging in? Will the router operate elsewhere on the power line circuit around the house?

Thanks.

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: Moving router away from modem

@Johnmlowe 

You could do that, but bear in mind that powerline adapters rarely reach their quoted throughput, so you may lose performance.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 6

Thanks Kudos, I have setup this new configuration and oit works fine. You are quite right about reducing speed as the router is a lot less. I am on 900 mbs Fttp! However am getting reasonable speeds throughout the house.

I have been thinking about going back to 500 Mbps as frankly I don't need 900. What effect will that have on this new setup? Will it halve current speeds?

Also my power line adapters are just standard ones, would installing high speed ones make a big difference to speeds at devices? Is it worth the expense?

Hope you can help.

Many thanks,

John

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 6

I suspect that the limiting factor would be the powerline adapters, so dropping from 900-500mbs is unlikely to make any difference.

More expensive adapters may help, but its the transmission characteristics of you household main wiring which would be the limiting factor. Mains wiring was never intended to carry the radio frequency spectrum, which is used.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

I would seriously think about running an Ethernet cable (StarTech Cat 6) from the ONT modem to the room where you want the modem. You will always loose throughput if you use powerline adaptors.

As has been said before, there are not many devices out there that can handle 900MBPS. What that speed gives you is greater bandwidth, so many family members can be on line, streaming etc at the same time without noticing a drop in performance.

Hope this helps 

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 6

Thanks again, Kudos.

I realise that a cable to the router is the best bet, but not really possible in my case, unfortunately.

I am looking at going back to 500 Mbps as paying the extra for 900 and only two of us in the house is excessive!

Many thanks,

John

0 Ratings