cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 37

Re: Moving smart hub.

@LowPingHunter 

Its the ONT and hub are probably failing to auto-negotiate the correct speed, due to timing differences  between the two bits of hardware. This is actually quite a common problem.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duplex_mismatch

Sometimes rebooting either the ONT or the hub, can fix the issue.

The alternative is to insert an 1GB Ethernet switch, preferably on the home hub WAN end, as that has the ability to correct most timing issues.

You would only be using two ports of the switch, so you only need a small one, as you cannot use the other ports as it would be on the WAN side.

Message 12 of 37

@LowPingHunterwrote:

it did actually produce 900mb for the first day after the switch.

At least that proves the internal cable is up to spec.

So check & change the patch cables & also try with just one device connected.

Cables very rarely fail so my best guess would be poor terminations at the ethernet sockets.

Message 13 of 37

This is interesting, because I first discovered the problem on my new PC.. one of the steps I followed was to ensure the pc was full duplex 1000mb.. however, it was autonegotiation, I then switched to 1000mb hoping it would fix the issue.. shall I try doing the full reboot of both ONT and Hub? See if that will graft
0 Ratings
Message 14 of 37

Thankyou for the information
0 Ratings
Message 15 of 37

If it is an autonegotiation issue it may be as simple as unplugging the network cable and plugging it back in again while the PC is on.  A full reboot will set everything back up from scratch though, so always a good idea.

0 Ratings
Message 16 of 37

Aright mate, nahhh that didn't work unfortunately.. I think it's probably the cabling behind the wall.. it'll get confirmed or denied Friday when an engineer comes.. if it is that.. do you know how much that would cost to sort out? Cabling behind the plate in the living, and I'm assuming the Cabling behind the plate in the bedroom.. (I've just cable managed all my devices nicely I could cry haha) putting it back downstairs is something I'd rather pay to avoid..
0 Ratings
Message 17 of 37

Who is coming on Friday , an Openreach engineer ?
If you have reported a ‘fault’  now that your router is connected on the end of an apparently faulty internal cable (  a fault that wouldn’t exist if the router were next to the ONT and not using this internal Ethernet connection ) and OR are visiting on what seemingly will be a waste of that engineers time ( service demonstrated OK at the point where  OR are responsible ( next to the ONT ) and not OK at the end of a third parties cable , where you are responsible ) that’s the very definition of a chargeable call out , as it’s clear that nothing on the OR network is ‘faulty’ , the problem being on something not supplied or maintained by Openreach, that’s not to say a charge will be raised, but you couldn’t justify complaining if a charge is raised.

Message 18 of 37

If you're not going to add nothing of value, please refrain from commenting.. the jury is still out on what the fault is.. I'm not an engineer.. that's why BT are coming out to investigate.. not sure why you have an attitude about it..
0 Ratings
Message 19 of 37

@LowPingHunter 

If your last post was a reply to @iniltous , then I think that they were just trying to potentially save you from receiving an unnecessary bill.

I don't know what the current charge is, but 10 years ago, it was something like £128.

Message 20 of 37

It's the second time he's commented with an obvious attitude.. I can do without unhelpful comments.. he's obviously got his knickers in a twist this morning..
0 Ratings