cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

Networking two usb drives

I have a smart hub 2 with two usb drives plugged into a usb hub.  They show as usb1 and usb2.  I have mapped these to windows drives but over the weekend the router restarted and usb1 is now usb2 and vice versa.  So none of my files are where I expect them to be.  Is there any way to fix them and make them static?

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: Networking two usb drives

Probably not reliably!
There's a project over on hackaday.io for a USB delay device, but even its designer doesn't think in its current state that it's near to being commercial.
There is no user facing setting I'm aware of to reliably set which device is seen as usb1 or usb2, and there's no access to the underlying OS where you could change this.
You could try using two very different USB drives, one very old and slow, the other super fast - but even then you can't guarantee it'll work.

*I'm not a fan of USB drives for long term network storage, maybe thinking your way around the problem would be the solution...

I only learn by making mistakes and owning up to them - boy do I learn a lot!
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 6

Surely you can just disconnect the drives, reboot the hub and then connect the drives in the order you wish them to be numbered. Waiting for the first to be recognised before connecting the second.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 6

I could do that but it’s rather random.  Especially if the router reboots itself.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

Can't see that there is any other option.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 6

Have you tried rebooting the router a few times to see if the problem repeats? Maybe what you're seeing now is how the drives are addressed consistently after a restart, so you may only have to remap once.

0 Ratings