cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 16

Hello I've just given Virgin notice I am leaving after many years with them.   I have 30 days cancellation period that ends on Sunday 30 July, I was hoping to transfer to BT Full Fibre 900, I'm not sure how to go about this,  If I order BT this week will it be in place on time?  I don't want the days to 'clash' therefore, do I have to leave so many days inbetween providers or can I book it to start the next day (31 July)?  If so, is that midnight on that day - goodness I'm not sure the best way to go about this.  Also, do I need any special equpment in the property?   Any guidance welcome.  Thankyou

0 Ratings
15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16

Re: Newbie

Go to solution

Are you intending to have a phone service and if Yes , is the phone number you had with Virgin required ?

Assuming you don’t want a phone service or any number will do , there is no ‘connection’  between VM network and Openreach, but obviously there will be a lead time to get service over OR , if you order BT in the very near future then that’s the best way to try and guarantee it will be in and working before the VM service is disconnected, but until you order to you won’t have a date , it’s impossible to know what the date offered will be in advance, but hopefully 3 weeks should be doable .

Do you need any special equipment, obviously you would be ordering FTTP where no FTTP currently exists so a new install is required ( assuming you are not in a new build that had BT and VM available when you moved in and you chose VM ) , if you put your address into the wholesale checker it will gives the availability, if it’s single stage or 2 stage install and the installation method , 

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

s Downstream Line Rate(Mbps) Upstream Line Rate (Mbps) Downstream Range (Mbps) Availability Date FTTP Install ProcessWBC FTTP
Up to 1000Up to 220--AvailableKCI2 Assure
Other Offerings Availability DateVDSL Multicast
Available

Our records show the following FTTP network service information for these premises:-Single Dwelling Unit Residential UG Feed with no anticipated issues.

it should look a little like this , although this is for a new build with existing duct.

Message 3 of 16

Go to solution

Thankyou for your reply - I do not want a Telephone line at all, therefore no number to carry across.  The link you provided is asking for numbers that I don't know what they are - unable to see an address line.  When I went onto BT website for quote on costs, it did say FF was available to me at the time it didn't give me timescale though.

Thankyou

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 16

Go to solution

Ok so I just proved how useless I am at this sort of thing LOL.. I noticed there was somewhere I could put in my address -'Our records show FTTP network... single dwelling 2.5 inch plastic duct56'

FTTP is available & a new ONT may be ordered.

The exchange is not currently a fibre priority programme

WLR is currently available at the exchange

etc...

Does this mean FFB is available to my property but not at the exchange, therefore, I won't actually be getting what I am going to be paying for?  Thankyou

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 16

Go to solution

from what you have posted FTTP is available to you and you just need to phone BT and place an order for the package you want 03301234150

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 6 of 16

Go to solution

Thankyou I will indeed go and order,  I appreciate the replies.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 16

Go to solution

@Tr345 

I appreciate that you don't want to be either paying for two services or be without any. But I'd suggest that the former is much preferable to the latter. Therefore if it were me, I would only cancel the Virgin service the day after the BT service goes live. This may very well not be the installation date your are given when you place an order with BT. Some have reported delays running into months due to unforeseen issues with the install.

I would also suggest that you look at what offers are available ordering online through cashback sites such as Quidco & Top Cashback.

Message 8 of 16

Go to solution
Thankyou something to think about.
0 Ratings
Message 9 of 16

Go to solution

Switching is designed to do away with the hassle associated with cancelling one service and hoping that one finds a suitable  replacement service that can be connected and provisioned on the exact date your original service ceases.

Message 10 of 16

Go to solution

That doesn't apply when switching from a non Openreach service to an Openreach service as in this case switching from Virgin to BT.