cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 21 of 27

Re: No internet on laptops

Go to solution

Unfortunately it seems that the problem was not solved by switching modes and it’s now worse than before as I’ve just started a new job, with a new laptop that the internet really doesn’t like. I’m getting intermittent connectivity, but often it will connect and then drop out after 30 minutes or so.

I’ve tried an Ethernet cable connection but that resulted in no internet. I think I’m going to have to get a BT engineer out for a health check, but as before iPhones and iPads in the house are fine-it’s just the laptops which have a problem.

any ideas?

0 Ratings
Message 22 of 27

Go to solution
Sorry I missed this before- how can I check this setting?
Many thanks
0 Ratings
Message 23 of 27

Go to solution

If you connect to your router with an ethernet cable and you get no internet then I would be talking to your Company IT people and work with them to get that to work as an ethernet cable just rules out wifi issues totally, and if possible stay connected by ethernet cable when you work.

On a phone, you may wish to download a wifi scanner program.

Wifi uses specific chunks of the wireless spectrum and the router can choose which chunk to use. It could be that the chunk it is using is also the same chunk as everyone around you is using which means it is like a crowd of people all shouting in a room at the same time, and so it is harder to hear the conversation you want to hear and so the person you are talking to has to repeat themselves, so the conversation (wifi data) is slower.

Also, how many things are likely to be connected to the router at the same time as more than 8 or 10 often confuses the router as it struggles to switch between all the demands on it from each device

0 Ratings
Message 24 of 27

Go to solution

I am having the same problem. Started several months ago. Android & Microsoft devices show "Connected, no internet" - and there is no internet. Apple devices unaffected. BT thought it was a hub fault and sent a new hub, created temporary solution. But now a couple of months latter back to the same problem with the new hub.

BT - I've lost count of the DAYS! of my life I have lost to trying to get broadband that works consistently and a half-decent speed. Please this is clearly an issue you need to sort out.

0 Ratings
Message 25 of 27

Go to solution

How do you do a factory reset - what did you reset your hub, or laptop?

0 Ratings
Message 26 of 27

Go to solution

There is a recessed reset button at the rear of the hub, press it with a pin for about 20 seconds until the lights flash.

0 Ratings
Message 27 of 27

Go to solution

One feature that can cause problems with "No Internet" is the MAX randomisation feature that is turned on by default )I believe) on newer Apple phones/iPads, some newer Android devices and even Windows 11. This results in the router issuing a new IP address every time one of these devices connects /reconnects to your router. The router by default only allows 255 addresses of which a certain number are effectively reserved so far fewer than 255 addresses are available for issue to devices  that connect. When it runs out of addresses to issue the WiFi may still connect but as no IP address is issued there will be no Internet.

Resetting the router will clear the table of addresses and allow the various devices to connect and use the internet up until they are all used up again.

There are a couple of ways to limit this problem:

1) Turn off MAC randomisation when on your home network (simplest)

2) Increase the number of addresses available on your router - this means changing the DHCP settings from 8bits to say 16bits so the netmask from 255.255.255.0 to 255.255.0.0. (more complicated).

3) Decrease the length of time DHCP addresses are issued for, iirc default is 24hrs, try 1hr.

If the MAC randomisation is not the cause of the problem then the above might be a waste of time. Every time the Router is factory reset the settings would need to be reapplied.

0 Ratings