cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 12

Normal BT WholeHome setup PLUS a 3rd party router attached to one disk?

Go to solution
Hey everyone, Apologies if this is elsewhere, but I've tried to find an answer and can't. I've got a 3 disk WholeHome setup at the moment and now want to put WiFi in my garage. I've had some ducting put to my house and my question is this... Can I run an ethernet cable from the back of one of my disks trhough the ducting c.20 meters to my garage and then attach another third party router and get it all to work? i.e. will that disk "feed the internet" to that other router? The disk I'll be 'drawing' from is part of an active network where another disk is attached to a homehub etc. Will that setup work?
0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12

Re: Normal BT WholeHome setup PLUS a 3rd party router attached to one disk?

Go to solution

You can't have two routers on the same broadband connection without messing about with the settings. It would be easier to consider the following.

I am not sure if you were to purchase another Wholehome Disc if it can be daisy chained by Ethernet to another disc (No doubt some one will be able to answer that) but if it can you could do the following by replacing the WAP with a Disc.

The alternative is you could run an Ethernet cable from the nearest Wholehome Disc and connect it to a Wireless Access Point (WAP) in the garage. 

You can change the WAP's name to the same as your hub&disc if you want or you could keep it as is and that way you will know that you are connected to it rather than a possible weak signal from your discs.

TP-Link do reasonably priced WAPs.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 12

Go to solution
massively appreciate the reply. I think what you've suggested sounds like a great plan if I can daisy chain the disks...

Can anyone help with that?
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 12

Go to solution

I suspect that they can be daisy chained but as I don't have them i can't say for sure.

You could always try by using the discs that you all ready have to test then you would know for sure.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 12

Go to solution

The Ethernet port on the disc can be used to connect any devices, so yes, you can connect a WAP to give WiFi in the garage. It is no different to connecting a printer or PC to the Ethernet port of a disc.

From https://www.bt.com/help/user-guides/bt-whole-home-wi-fi/bt-whole-home-wi-fi-faqs---set-up-and-instal...

Can I connect a device (for example, printer or games console) to the Ethernet port of the Whole Home Wi-Fi discs?

Your first disc will use the Ethernet port to connect to your hub (router). On the other discs you can use the Ethernet port to connect other wired devices to the network.

Message 6 of 12

Go to solution

I knew it would connect a WAP but not sure about connecting another Wholehome Disc to it by Ethernet unless of course a Wholehome disc works in the same way as a "normal" WAP.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 12

Go to solution

But the OP doesn't want to connect another disc.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 12

Go to solution

I suggested that he may be able to per chance he wanted to use a Wholehome Disc because he was already using three in the rest of his house.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 12

Go to solution

Ah, I see.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 12

Go to solution

Thanks All,

I'll test, but i think the plan is to run a network switch immediately in the garage to allow me some spare ports and then either another disk or a WAP off that

Appreciate the chance to bounce of others. Very helpful, thank you

0 Ratings