cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

Openreach Master Socket Move

Hello all,

My master socket is currently in a position away from any plugs so therefore would need to be moved. 

If I was to get this done how would the finished product look? Would I have cables all over the place going from the original socket to the ‘new’ one?

If anyone has had this done could they advise how this was done and if it is tidy

Thanks in advance. 

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: Openreach Master Socket Move

@AnonAsker 

Welcome to this user forum for BT Residential phone and broadband customers.

Are you a BT  customer?

If you are then you would have to ask BT to arrange an internal shift, and they would pass the task to Openreach. Not sure of the cost, but its likely to be around £130.

If you are with another provider, you would need to ask them.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 6

Not sure what you're concerned about here.
Are you getting broadband for the first time and therefore need to think about where your new router/hub will be positioned? This will need a power supply but the cable from the master socket can be quite long so there is probably no need for the master socket to be moved.
If you moving from broadband via ADSL to that by VDSL (fibre to the cabinet, FTTC) then your master socket will continue in use just as it is at the moment with just the addition of a filter to split broadband and phone signals.
If you are moving from broadband via FTTC to full fibre broadband (fibre to the premises, FTTP) then your master socket will be redundant for broadband and replaced by an Optical Network Terminal. This DOES need a power supply so you'll need to negotiate with the Openreach technician who installs it as to its location.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 6

Apologies, I might not have made myself clear. 

My current master socket doesn’t have a plug nearby meaning I have nowhere to plug a modem/router in so essentially I’m unable to get FTTC internet (full fibre isn’t currently available). 

My question is in order to move the Master Socket next to a plug would I have cables running from the current socket to the new on near a plug or would it be a fresh install of a new socket. 

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

I think the detail of the master socket move would be open to negotiation with the Openreach technician. If your desired new position is on an outside wall then there is the possibility of a fresh install. If it's on an inner wall them you're bound to have some new cable installed inside.
Another point - do you have any extension sockets already installed or could you install one?
Despite advice to the contrary, I get good FTTC broadband speeds using an extension socket I installed because, like you, my master socket is not near a power socket.
Message 6 of 6

Thanks, that makes sense re which wall it would be on, ideally it would be in the living room which has an outside wall. 

I do not currently have any extension sockets installed - I have now got an appointment with an Openreach engineer to have a look at it and I’ll ask them about my options and take it from there I think. 

0 Ratings