cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 21

Re: Smart Hub 2 very slow

Help! We've just received a smart hub2 for the digital voice upgrade. The wifi strength is abysmal compared to the homehub 6 we've been asked to return. As we both work from home, this needs to be improved upon or we 'll have to stick with the old hub. Can you help?
0 Ratings
20 REPLIES 20
Message 2 of 21

the wifi on SH2 is as good as the HH6 unless you have a faulty SH2   if you go back to HH6 then you cannot use digital voice

did you turn off smart setup in hub manager?

https://www.bt.com/help/broadband/what-is-smart-setup-on-the-bt-hub--how-can-i-turn-it-on-and-off-

have you tried selecting wireless channels manually instead of auto?

have you tried changing wifi mode from 1 or 2 or 3

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 3 of 21

Hi, thanks for the guidance. I've just tried it all. Re Smart Set up, that was turned on (by default) but I didn't see it when connecting any of my devices to the new hub. Is your suggestion to have this turned on, or off?

I re-scanned the channels and it changed them to 11 & 36 instead of 1 & 36.

I changed it to mode 2 then 3, no changes. Even our phones (android and apple) cant see any network in the next room.  

Does this mean the hub is likely faulty?

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 21

Turn off smart setup as it can cause connection problems

If you have SKYQ then select another channel to 36 as that is used by SKYQ.

Try using a WiFi analyser on mobile and check for channels in use near you then select a free or less congested channel

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 21

I have also found the SH2 wireless performance sub par compared with my previous routers provided by Plusnet which is ironic considering one of them is a BT rebadge. Not an issue for me as I repurpose the old hub as a wireless point .

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 21

Hi.

Okay, I've turn off smart setup.

We don't have SKYQ (or anything Sky related).

I've used a WiFi analyser on mobile and changed channels accordingly. I still have no wifi at all outside the immediate vicinity of the smart hub. No devices can see it (TVs, music system, phones) 

Do I now look to return it for a replacement? 

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 21

can you see your hub SSID when using wifi analyser and if so what strength of signal does it show if you move about home

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 21

Sitting next to the router it shows -80dBm, (next door's shows -66). If I move away 10 feet the router disappears from the list.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 21

@imjolly@Minesabud 

The most reliable way of monitoring wi fi signal  strength is to use the Wi-Fi analyser app which is available on the Microsoft store (if using a Windows pc/laptop).

Your signal strengths seem to indicate that you are not seeing the signal at all.....All you are seeing is hidden networks.
The -80db sounds about right for hidden networks, around here, at least.
Don't mean to state the obvious, but are you absolutely sure that you have entered your wireless password key correctly....upper case, lower case.
This is a mistake which is very easy to make,  even by the most experienced users.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 21

Hi, I can see my named router in the list, with the previously mentioned low signal strength. It disappears from the list if I take a few steps away from it. Thats not right, is it?  

0 Ratings