cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

Reconnect 2.4GHz smart plug to 5GHz router - can it be done?

Go to solution

I recently fell for the BT marketing blurb which ended up by acquiring a new BT router which I understand (long after purchase) is 5GHz. All seemed to be working well until I noticed that my Teckin smart plugs were not working. After a lot of head-scratching, I think the problem is that the smart plug "only supports 2.4 GHz wi-fi network".

Apart from buying a new set of 5GHz smart plugs, is there a workaround so I can get these 2.4GHz smart plugs working on the new router? All my other wi-fi devices are working fine.

Many thanks for any guidance on this.

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: Reconnect 2.4GHz smart plug to 5GHz router - can it be done?

Go to solution

BT routers are dual band 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz. Smart plugs seem to get confused somehow, turn off the 5Ghz wireless until they are connected and then turn it back on.

Also make sure you have turned off Smart Setup on the hub.

Message 3 of 8

Go to solution

Thank you for your swift feedback.

Could you break it down into simple baby steps for me as to how to turn off the 5GHz. Afraid I am a bit of a dunce when it comes to these things. I guess this involves going into a web page? Much appreciated.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 8

Go to solution
Message 5 of 8

Go to solution

You may find it beneficial to just leave the 5GHz turned off, unless you need the faster speed on something.

The cause of the problem is that both frequencies have the same identification name and password, and they cant be seperated.

Message 6 of 8

Go to solution
Thank you. I needed these instructions. All working great now.
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 8

Go to solution
All working fine now. Thank you.
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 8

Go to solution
Thank you. After switching off the 5GHz, then reset the 2.4GHz plugs, I switched the 5Hz back on. All seems to be working fine, but I'll keep in mind your advice if speed becomes an issue.
0 Ratings