cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 15

Replacing Smart Hub 2 with an Asus router

Please would you let me know if it is possible to replace a BT Smart Hub 2 router with an Asus router, such as Asus RT-AX88U? Does Fibre with BT Halo 2 allow a different router to be used? The aim is to be able to change the primary and secondary DNS to improve blocking of online indecent images, which is not possible on the Smart Hub 2.

Many thanks for your help.

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15

Re: Replacing Smart Hub 2 with an Asus router

Yes, you can use any third party router with BT broadband. If you have FTTC (I e your hub plugs into the master socket) rather than full fibre (FTTP), you need the DSL modem/ router version rather than the RT router only version though.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 15

Thanks for your reply. The hub plugs into a socket which is an extension from the master socket so does that mean it is full fibre?
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 15

No, it is FTTC if it plugs into any copper socket.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 15

Thanks - so an Asus DSL modem router would be OK?
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 15

Yes, the Asus DSL -AC88U would be OK rather than the Asus RT-AX88U. However, it seems rather overkill if all you want to do is change DNS servers, there are cheaper VDSL modem/routers available that you can do that with rather than the top end Asus.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 15

Not entirely sure changing DNS servers will achieve what you want in any case. As far as I'm aware, it is not possible to block Google images without blocking the entire Google domain although other image sources can be blocked.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 15

I am hoping to use DNS content filtering to block indecent images. I'd be grateful for any ideas for maximising the chance of blocking indecent images when parental controls on a PC seem to be easily disabled.
0 Ratings
Message 9 of 15

My personal opinion is that parental controls and methods of blocking inappropriate images are only useful when trying to prevent inadvertent access by younger children. Your comment regarding controls being easily disabled implies you are trying to block deliberate access, which I believe is nigh on impossible and any attempt to do so will always be circumvented by any tech savvy child.

Message 10 of 15

With an Asus router there is a section for preventing certain types of sites being accessed which cannot be overridden other than by changing the router settings. It's under AiProtection I think.