cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 4

Setting up an Archer AX73 behind SmartHub 2

Go to solution

Hi all,

I've had recent (well since mid October) issues with varying ADSL speeds on my Halo 3 BT SmartHub 2 (which had been fine for 3-4 years).  Various engineers from Cube, OpenReach etc none of which resulted in any change.

As a retired IT Service Manager used to managing large scale incidents and failures, the BT troubleshooting was execrable.  No engineer had access to any "decent" tools to be able to tell me whether I had broadcast storms internally or anything that might have changed that would make this explainable.  

I've been lucky, as my cabinet is less than 100m away from the house, and got 73Meg down and 19 Meg up.  Once the issues started (I noticed the issues with TV streaming services buffering) I was regularly seeing 10Meg down and 3Meg up, and at any time of day (between 0700 and 2300).  

I discovered WireShark (Free network analysis tool) and ran that with their "Expert Analysis" on long sessions, finding pretty much nothing apart from a few TCP ACK re-transmits.  So my conclusion is that the SmartHub is a pretty bottom of the heap router in terms of processor/ram etc.

Already having been moved to Digital Voice (and having one Cube Einstein replace my SH2 with an SH1 despite me asking whether it would support DV-no phone for 2 days) it was obvious from a bit of research here I needed to get a better router inside the SH2, with the intention of connecting the one Ethernet device (Synology NAS) and all the WiFi stuff through that to do the "heavy lifting" before passing onto the SH2 for Internet.

I've spent a couple of days trying to get it to work as a router, but although I can get through to the SH2 (I can login to the SH2) via the WiFi, I couldn't get any internet, no matter how I cabled the AX73 and SH2.  I HAVE got it to work as an AP which at least leaves the SH free of the 19 wifi device, but I'd still like to get it to work as a router.

I found several references here, and think I followed them each - including cabling from SH2 LAN port 1 to AX73 LAN 1, disabling DHCP on SH2, disabling WiFi, setting the router IP as 192.168.1.10, etc. but none lead to Internet connectivity.  The only success I have had is to set up the AX73 as an AP, leaving the NAS plugged into the SH2.

Any ideas would be gratefully received

Larry

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Re: Setting up an Archer AX73 behind SmartHub 2

Go to solution

You need to connect the Hub to the AX73 WAN port, not a LAN port and create a separate subnet.

Give the AX73 WAN port an IP address of 192.168.1.10 and gateway 192.168.1.254 or you could just configure  the WAN port as DHCP and let it get the configuration from the HUB. Don't disable DHCP on the hub.

Message 3 of 4

Go to solution
Thanks, I'll give it a go! Really useful response.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 4

Go to solution

Thank you so much! Everything is now working as I wanted it to be,  The NAS is Ethernet connected to the AX73, and the SH2 is only dealing with Internet!  Yee haw!!!

0 Ratings