cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 17

Re: Setting up guest wifi

Go to solution

Thanks for your reply - I will look into WiFi extenders. 

Cliff

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 17

Go to solution

@cliff3 

Bear in mind that this method does not give isolation between the guest network and the private network, so you need to make sure that any network shares are secured.

Message 13 of 17

Go to solution

@Crimliarwrote:

One way to do this is to use a WiFi extender that has its own separate WiFi SSID that it broadcast compared to the SSID it connects to the router using.  Even better if you can connect one to the router using a cable, as then not only can you use a different SSID, but even different WiFi channels!  And if it's a proper guest network, it's easy to turn on and off!

This does not give you a guest network - anyone connecting to the Wifi extender will have full access to the local network.  You need a router with a proper guest network implementation which will only forward packets to the network gateway and not to any local computers.

I have guest wifi setup on my Ubiquiti Unifi wireless access points - you can buy a single Unifi Wifi 6 access point for around £100.

Message 14 of 17

Go to solution

O.K. thanks for that Brookheather. I will have to look into getting a router with a facility to provide a guest wifi set up.

cliff

0 Ratings
Message 15 of 17

Go to solution

Depends on what exactly you want a guest network for!  Personally, I'd not set up a guest network the same way I'd set up an IoT network.  If I were looking to set up a complex IoT setup, then I'd be looking at a router that offers greater flexibility than the BT hubs.

Maybe it's time to ask what the OP is trying to achieve, rather than how they are trying to achieve it?

I only learn by making mistakes and owning up to them - boy do I learn a lot!
0 Ratings
Message 16 of 17

Go to solution

@Crimliar wrote:

Depends on what exactly you want a guest network for!  Personally, I'd not set up a guest network the same way I'd set up an IoT network.  If I were looking to set up a complex IoT setup, then I'd be looking at a router that offers greater flexibility than the BT hubs.

Maybe it's time to ask what the OP is trying to achieve, rather than how they are trying to achieve it?

Unless I am mistaken, going by the OP's questions and replies, I suspect that all he wants is what the vast majority of people who want a guest network want and that is simply to allow "guests" to connect to the Internet using his broadband connection without allowing them access to his home network. 

In other words being able to give them a network name and password that they can log onto in order to access the Internet. This, as has already been pointed out can not be achieved with the BT hub. 

I could of course be wrong but I doubt it.

Message 17 of 17

Go to solution

That's correct, gg30340. Thanks everyone. 

Cliff