cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

Slow Wi-Fi with Linksys mesh

Hi guys. 

Just moved to BT from Virgin. I am on the full fibre 500 mb package. I have used my smart  hub 2 as a modem and have a Linksys 3 node mesh system. 
when I test the speed at the hub it’s coming in at 500mb, however, I can’t get above 100mb on Wi-Fi through my mesh. I am plugged into Ethernet port 1. Any help would be appreciated. The system was fine when I had it connected to my virgin hub. 

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: Slow Wi-Fi with Linksys mesh

The hub doesn't have a modem mode so will still be acting as a router. How have you confgured the mesh? Have you turned off the WiFi on the hub in case it is interfering?

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 8

Hi. Yeah. I turned the Wi-Fi off on the smart hub. 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 8

What speed is the Ethernet between the router and your mesh? Whilst both may be capable of 1Gb/s sometimes the auto-negotiation  fails to achieve the 1Gb/s between devices and limits it to 100Mb/s. I think the solution is usually to fit a 1Gb/s switch between the two devices.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 8

Ok. That’s a shame. Must be a problem on the side of the Bt hub then as I didn’t have this issue with the virgin hub. 

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 8

Don't just assume that is the cause, check the speed if you can first.

Make sure you also check the cable is suitable and try an alternative one.

A previous example: Solved: Smart Hub 2 only giving 100 mbps on ethernet - BT Community

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 8

Tried an alternative cable. Made no difference to the Wi-Fi speed. Now to make matters even worse, from yesterday the connection is constantly dropping out.  Is this just a normal part of the connection settling within the first month or is there a problem?
The mesh system I have was rock solid when connected to the virgin hub so it has to be an issue with Bt. 

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 8

Sounds like you might have more than on problem.

D you know what the actual ethernet speed is between hub and your mesh system, do the lights at either end indicate this?

What is dropping out, the WiFi or the Broadband, if the latter what do the lights on the  hub show when it happens?

0 Ratings