cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 3

Smart Hub 2: Does phone work with hub switched off?

Dear BT Community,

Apologies if this has been asked before. I currently don’t have any internet due to li vying in a very rural area. However, a new fibre line has just been paid in the road and will shortly become live.

I am considering going with BT full fibre to the property, and from reading about, I understand that I can plug my existing phone into the hub.

My question is, will the phone still work if the hub is switched off?? I’m one who likes to limit Wi-Fi exposure and would be grateful if someone could clarify this for me.

Thanks.

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

Re: Smart Hub 2: Does phone work with hub switched off?

Never tried it but i doubt it as it needs to be switched on...like if you have a power cut the phone will not work...so the answer is no...

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 3

Re: Smart Hub 2: Does phone work with hub switched off?

The short answer is no.

On copper lines the power (nominally 50v) came from the exchange and was there all the time including during power cuts, that is no longer the case.

If you want to restrict Wi-Fi radiation then the way to do it is by logging on to your hub from an Ethernet connected device and disabling Wi-Fi on the hub manager. It is not advisable to power down your hub before going to bed as firmware updates are pushed out in the early hours and your hub will miss them if it's powered down.

Then again some may argue that they wish their hub had missed certain updates

0 Ratings