cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 31 of 41

Re: Smart Hub 2 and Bridge Mode

Go to solution

ok I dont want to waste anymore of your time BUT I am using PPPoE I dont have PPPoA as an option in the router

Thanks for all your help

0 Ratings
Message 32 of 41

Go to solution

It's just that in message 29, you appear to have used PPPoA settings that are only appropriate for ADSL

0 Ratings
Message 33 of 41

Go to solution

Just to pop in to clarify, that PPPoA isn't ADSL. It's Point to Point Protocol over ATM - without the technicalities involved, it basically means routing packets from the Ethernet network (local LAN) using IP (hence why you have a router) and sending it over the telephony network (the ATM bit), as the point of a router is to transport data between different networks as Ethernet cannot be broadcast through routers… la di da da… going slightly off topic but...

PPPoE is Point to Point Protocol over Ethernet - you need this when sending the packets from the router to a separate modem that is connected to Ethernet - such as a FTTP which uses the Openreach Fibre ONT to send on the packets instead of being directly connected to the router.

So PPPoA just basically means over the telephony network, meaning in this case, DSL of any kind that uses that grey RJ11 port. Anything needing to use an external 'modem' or network terminal would use PPPoE as it transports over the Ethernet away from the router and is picked up by the other device over Ethernet (using Ethernet frames).

Not directly linked to ADSL specifically, but you could say, xDSL I suppose.

0 Ratings
Message 34 of 41

Go to solution

Yes, I'm fully aware of what PPPoA and PPPoE are.

My point was that BT utilise PPPoA for standard ADSL broadband and utilise PPPoE for FTTC VDSL broadband.

0 Ratings
Message 35 of 41

Go to solution

What if you disable WiFi on SM2. Will it then act as a modem access point?

0 Ratings
Message 36 of 41

Go to solution

@TimCurtis 

sorry to be a pain but could you explain how you you did this, I've got a smarthub 2 coming which I for DV and at present am using an asus DSL-AX82u as both modem and router, I'd like to keep the asus as the router if possible

0 Ratings
Message 37 of 41

Go to solution

@Trotski  See message 16

0 Ratings
Message 38 of 41

Go to solution

@Trotski 

Message 16 is not quite the way I did it as my Asus has loads of devices with pre-defined IP Addresses in the 192.168.1.xx range which I wasn't going to change.

In the Asus I set port 4 as my ethernet wan port (in Dual Wan) and my Wan connection type as static with the Wan IP Settings as 192.168.2.2 as the IP address, 255.255.252.0 as the subnet mask and 192.168.2.1 as the default gateway.

I set the SH2 with an IP address of 192.168.2.1 and forwarded all IPv4/6 traffic to 192.168.2.2. Wifi and DHCP were both disabled.

Other members here questioned why my subnet mask was 255.255.252.0 and not 255.255.255.0. I did this as I have a Synology server which offers a VPN service and using that particular mask allows me to see other devices on my network when I'm away.

Think that was about it.

Message 39 of 41

Go to solution

Sounds very interesting.  I’d be curious to know a little more about how that subnet mask allows you to see your devices? 

That subnet mask provides 1024 host addresses.  Is it just that you have a very large network or is there something else involved?  Or perhaps I’m missing the obvious?  Do tell.

0 Ratings
Message 40 of 41

Go to solution

@WSH 

Well my Synology assigns IP addresses when in VPN mode in the range 192.168.0.xx as it can't use the 192.168.1.xx range so any device with an IP address from 192.168.0.xx to 192.168.3.xx can see any of my 192.168.1.xx devices.

There might be another way but that seems to work OK for me.

Note that now I'm connecting directly to the ONT - so no SH2 - I use 255.255.254.0.

0 Ratings