cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 51 of 55

Re: Smart Hub 2 and splitting the 2.4ghz and 5ghz bands

Go to solution

@Cicero 

Whilst I agree that a single SSID is a bad idea in the SH2, manufacturers of network attached devices also bear liability for poorly designed & implemented software. It staggers me that as IoT devices proliferate, manufacturers still come up with crippled software & have no apparent desire to streamline it so it just works.

0 Ratings
Message 52 of 55

Go to solution

Yep. My dad's loyal printer (even though it's an Epson 😂) just stopped connecting properly after installing the new hub. Switching from smart channels to normal channels solved that problem. 

Yes it is retrograde. Virgin media splits the SSIDs automatically last I was with them but they went way too pricey.

I think BT tried to be 'smart' and introduce some new programming somewhere that needs to either be removed or improved drastically. 

0 Ratings
Message 53 of 55

Go to solution

With the SH2, it's probably linked to it's ability to mesh the same SSID with the Complete WiFi discs. Splitting SSIDs would break that. As I discovered fairly recently, most manufacturers of mesh systems don't allow split SSIDs, or indeed manual channel selection.

Message 54 of 55

Go to solution

The TP Link Deco mesh, allows you to specify a separate guest SSID, which can be dual band, or just a single 2.4 or 5GHz band. This can either be isolated, or have local access to your network.

Very useful for those devices that work best on 2.4GHz.

0 Ratings
Message 55 of 55

Go to solution

@rbz5416 

Trouble is I have found that certainly HP software has great difficulty when a printer connects to disc instead of directly to the HUB, can takes minutes to contact the printer and printing is extremely slow.

0 Ratings