cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 31 of 55

Re: Smart Hub 2 and splitting the 2.4ghz and 5ghz bands

Go to solution

Yes, you could do that, many have done so.

0 Ratings
Message 32 of 55

Go to solution

There is little doubt the withdrawal of the facility to split the bands is a retrograde step. Basically you cannot guarantee the same speed to a given device each time it signs on. Desktop A usually connects to the Hub at 585 to 790 Mbps, sometimes it gets as low as 56mbps. Previously desktop B always connected at 325 Mbps now can vary between 56 Mbps and 170. Any one in office environment with multiple desktop users must be utterly frustrated. If a wireless printer signs on to a black disk then it is unusable. The ability for equipment to utilise the speeds delivered by fibre is severely hampered by the inability to split the bands. This is progress ?

0 Ratings
Message 33 of 55

Go to solution

You mean a bit like the inability to select which band to connect to on your desktops.

Why would anybody in an office environment be using a crappy domestic router?

0 Ratings
Message 34 of 55

Go to solution
Exactly all my desktops ran on 5 GHz now they don’t….nice to see your helpful description of the router….
0 Ratings
Message 35 of 55

Go to solution
0 Ratings
Message 36 of 55

Go to solution

Another alternative is to turn off the 2.4GHz on the SH2 and just leave the 5GHz.  Then set up an old router/access point to do just 2.4GHz and connect it to a LAN port on the SH2 by one of its LAN ports.  (Don’t forget, you also need to turn off DCHP on this or set up a split scope).

0 Ratings
Message 37 of 55

Go to solution

@Cicero You clearly missed my point. How is the inability to choose which band to use (not which SSID) any different to not being able to give the bands different SSIDs? I.e it as much a problem of your desktops as it is the router.

0 Ratings
Message 38 of 55

Go to solution

So how can I ensure different units select the appropriate bands …I have a mixture of devices, printers seem only to work on 2.4….as far as I can there are no USB dongles that connect at 5ghz only and I haven’t found any software controls to switch a band on and off.

0 Ratings
Message 39 of 55

Go to solution

Exactly my point.

0 Ratings
Message 40 of 55

Go to solution

So there is little point in having fibre.

0 Ratings